Vegan English muffins are individual breakfast bread, toasted on a pan. You can serve them with different sweet or savory toppings. This is a staple recipe for breakfast or brunch!
This recipe is so easy, but needs time for the dough to rise. If you are patient, it will give you enough of bread for your family for a week or you can freeze leftovers.
You don’t need any equipment except the pan to make this vegan bread recipe! Yes, you read it right – no oven needed to make this bread! If you want, you can use a mixer, but I’ve made this recipe by mixing and kneading the dough with my hands. The results you can see in pictures.
I love the serving size, it makes these vegan English muffins easy to grab and cut to smear with something for breakfast or brunch. Just serve with a good cup of tea or coffee.
Are English muffins vegan?
Regular English muffins are not vegan, because they are made with butter and milk. Our vegan English muffins are made with vegan butter and almond milk.
Serving Vegan English Muffins
- Vegan butter or nut butter
- Jams, sweet or savory. Check our applesauce and apricot jam
- Mashed avocado or hummus
- Slices of vegan cheese or sausage
You can make vegan English muffins breakfast sandwich by slicing the bread in half. It is so easy and delicious!
If you wish, you can toast it for couple minutes before serving.
Ingredients for Vegan English muffins
You will need any plant based milk (I used almond milk) and apple cider vinegar to make vegan buttermilk.
Also you will need vegan butter to melt with buttermilk.
Dry ingredients include regular flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
Corn meal is needed for sprinkling the muffins, so they don’t stick together.
You can double the ingredients, to make more vegan English muffins for freezing or guests.
How English muffins are made
Add plant milk in a pan with apple cider vinegar to make vegan butter milk.
Add vegan butter in a homemade buttermilk in a pan.
Cook until melted. Let it cool 10 minutes. It should be lukewarm, so it doesn’t kill the yeast.
Add yeast, sugar and salt in the liquid, mix to dissolve and leave for 10 minutes.
Add the liquid in the bowl with flour and start mixing with a spatula.
Knead the dough with hands. Add more flour, while kneading, if it is too sticky.
Cover with a film wrap and let it rest for 2 hours in a warm place. It will double in size.
On the floured surface roll the dough approximately 1/2 inch thick.
Use round cutter or a glass to shape round muffins. This recipe makes around 18 English muffins.
You can re-roll the scraps, but the muffins won’t be as soft as the first batch.
Put muffins on a parchment paper, sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with parchment paper or damp towel, and let them rise half an hour. Make sure to leave the space between the muffins.
Heat the pan and cook vegan English muffins around 5 minutes on each side until crispy and puffed.
Let them cool and serve for breakfast!
Storing Vegan English muffins
You can store Vegan English muffins up to 2 weeks in a air tight container at room temperature
You can freeze them up to 6 months and defrost for a day before serving. You can toast them again on a pan or in the oven.
Hope you will try this vegan bread recipe. Tag us on social media or comment to let us know! Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook to receive up-to date simple and delicious dessert recipes like this!
For more vegan breakfast ideas, check these easy recipes:
- Healthy oatmeal cookies
- Easy homemade granola
- Avocado Burger
- Vegan apple pancakes
- Apple cranberry crisp
Vegan English Muffins
- cooking pan
- silicone mat and or baking paper
- 1⅓ cup plant milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 4½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp corn meal
- Add plant milk in a pan.1⅓ cup plant milk
- Add apple cider vinegar.1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Add vegan butter in a pan.¼ cup vegan butter
- Cook, stirring, until melted. Let it cool 10 minutes.
- Add yeast in a pan.2¼ tsp yeast
- Add sugar and salt.1 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt
- Mix until dissolved and let it sit 10 minutes.
- Add the liquid in the bowl with flour.
- Start mixing with a spatula.
- Knead the dough with hands. Add more flour, while kneading, if it is too sticky.4½ cup all-purpose flour
- Cover with a film wrap and let it rest for 2 hours in a warm place. It will double in size.
- On the floured surface roll the dough approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Use round cutter or a glass to shape round muffins. This recipe makes around 18 English muffins.
- Put muffins on a parchment paper, sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let them rise half an hour. Make sure to leave the space between the muffins.2 tbsp corn meal
- Heat the pan and cook vegan English muffins on one side until crispy and puffed, around 5 minutes.
- Flip muffins and cook 5 minutes on the other side.
- Let them cool and serve for breakfast!