Beef and broccoli stir fry is a quick and healthy dinner idea with rice. Flavorful dinner will be ready in 20 minutes or less. You won’t need to go out to get beef takeout!
Tender beef with Chinese savory brown sauce, veggies and rice. Isn’t it an ultimate comfort dish? If you plan to have easy dinner with rice, this is the best recipe to try.
This stir-fry beef and broccoli is a healthy, gluten-free, keto and low-carb recipe. I recommend using a low-sodium soy sauce and beef stock. You can serve it with cauliflower rice as a healthier side dish.
Chinese style beef recipe is a perfect weeknight meal! Easy and flavorful dinner for the whole family. This beef and broccoli stir-fry is better than Chinese takeout, because you can regulate the amount of sodium.
Moreover, this is a perfect way to incorporate healthy broccoli in your diet. It is loaded with vitamins C and K, and has powerful antioxidants that reduce inflammation. Broccoli is a good source of fiber.
With this easy recipe you will get crisp and healthy broccoli – perfect in combination with tender beef, brown sauce and rice. Enjoy your meal!
How to make beef and broccoli at home
To make this easy dinner, you need to cook broccoli, then cook the beef and make the sauce. You will need a large pan or wok.
How to cook broccoli
Cook the broccoli florets for 5 minutes in sesame oil and water. Remove from the pan and set aside. Wipe the pan with paper towel. You can use olive oil or other vegetable oil, too.
If you are using frozen broccoli, skip this step and add defrosted broccoli florets in the end.
How to make the beef and broccoli sauce
Add freshly grated ginger and garlic and cook, tossing for 30 seconds until fragrant remove from the pan. I didn’t add onions in this recipe, but if you like, you can thinly slice and brown them, then add to the final dish.
In a jar combine ginger and garlic that were cooked until fragrant. Add soy sauce, light soy sauce, sesame oil, Worcester sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, rice vine vinegar and beef broth.
You can use oyster sauce instead of worcestershire. Oyster sauce will be more salty and strong. On the other hand, worcestershire sauce is more tangy and sweet, that’s why it is perfect for beef recipes.
You will have rich in flavor and light in texture brown sauce. It should not be sticky or starchy. The sauce should barely cover the cooked beef. However, if you like it extra saucy, add about 1/4 cup more beef stock.
How to prepare and cook beef
You will need to cut flank steak against the grain into thin slices, about 1/4 inch or 0,6 cm thick. It will be easier to cut the steak if you put it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Cook strips of beef on high heat 4 minutes. Add the soy sauce, simmer 4 minutes more. Then add broccoli and cook 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve with warm rice and sesame seeds.
How to make beef more tender
If you want more tender meat, you can marinate it for 20 minutes in 1/4 of prepared sauce. But I didn’t marinated, and it turned out amazingly good. I think it all depends on the quality of meat and cut that you will use for this recipe.
By the way, there is a Chinese restaurant hack to make beef more tender. It is called velveting. Put the beef with 3/4 tsp baking soda in a bowl. Toss to coat the beef evenly, then add a little bit of water. Refrigerate the beef for 30 minutes, then rinse well and use in the recipe.
Beef and broccoli using leftover steak
Moreover, you can make beef and broccoli stir fry using leftover steak. Skip the part of cooking the beef, heat it with the sauce for 3-4 minutes, add broccoli and you’re done! Super easy meal idea!
What to serve with beef and broccoli stir fry
Serve beef and broccoli over hot cooked rice such as Basmati or Jasmine like in Chinese restaurant. You can also serve it with egg noodles. As I already mentioned, a healthier side dish is cauliflower rice. I highly recommend this easy homemade cauliflower recipe! Cauliflower salad can be a nice addition to beef and broccoli stir fry.
Beef and broccoli bowl is a good lunch or dinner idea without rice, too. Easy and delicious weeknight dinner!
Don’t forget to sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Not only for the look of the dish, sesame seeds give a pleasant crunch. You can add some black pepper to your taste.
We are sure this beef and broccoli recipe will become your family favorite. If you are looking for more beef dinner ideas, check our Irish beef stew and Entrecote a la Bordelaise. You can find more ideas for dinner recipes on our blog.
20 Minute Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 300 g beef flank steak
- 1 large broccoli
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root peeled
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 tbsp scallions chopped
- Cut the broccoli into florets.1 large broccoli
- Heat a spoon of sesame oil and splash of water in a large pan or wok. Cook the broccoli florets for 5 minutes.2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp water
- Remove broccoli from the pan and set aside. Wipe the pan with paper towel.
- Finely grate or mince ginger and garlic.1/2 inch fresh ginger root, 3 cloves garlic
- Add freshly grated ginger and garlic to the hot pan. Cook, tossing for 30 seconds until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a jar add soy sauce, light soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar,2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp dark soy sauce, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp brown sugar
- Add cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce and rice vinegar.1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- Add cooked ginger and garlic and whisk the sauce
- Cut flank steak against the grain into thin slices, about 1/4 inch or 0,6 cm thick.300 g beef flank steak
- Cook the beef on high heat 4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the prepared sauce, simmer 4 minutes more.
- Add broccoli, beef broth and cook 2 minutes.1/4 cup beef broth
- Remove from the heat and serve warm over rice. Sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped scallions on top.1 tsp sesame seeds, 1 cup cooked rice, 1 tbsp scallions