Updated on August 25, 2020
Chicken enchiladas is one of easy dinners to make straight ahead. If you wonder what to make for dinner, look no further. This is one of the best chicken recipes to serve!
What I love, is that chicken enchiladas has soft tortillas, cheese and of course chicken as a main protein here. All of that is covered with spicy tomato – homemade enchilada sauce!
I prefer to serve chicken meals with Cauliflower rice to have more low carbohydrates side dish. Spicy dishes are great to serve with rice or pasta.
Moreover, this is one of the best leftover chicken recipes! Chicken enchiladas are soft and spicy. By the way, if you have leftover turkey, check our amazing Turkey pot pie. Or you can make turkey enchiladas, using this easy recipe!
Making enchiladas couldn’t be more simple! All you need is tortilla wraps, cooked chicken, enchilada sauce and some cheese.
Enchiladas are one of delicious and easy chicken dinner recipes to make!
If you want to prepare enchiladas ahead, cook the chicken and the sauce. Leave in the fridge in separate boxes, until ready to go! Then just shred the chicken, add a 1/4 cup of the sauce with fresh parsley and proceed till the end of the recipe. You will need extra 5 minutes to heat it through.
The sauce and chicken can last up to 7 days in the fridge.
You can make chicken enchiladas and freeze them for a month. Bake the chicken dish extra 20 minutes more, if you place it in the oven without defrosting.
However, such easy dinners a best served fresh. Just make sure you have cooked chicken and the sauce, and you can serve chicken enchiladas almost every day! Ha, I think I’m never tired eating chicken enchiladas!
It’s a great healthy snack between the meals too! Oh, you should check our turkey tortilla wraps for more healthy snack ideas.
The sauce for chicken enchiladas
You can use ready-made enchilada sauce, but I recommend making this version, as it is easy and spicy! As I already mentioned, the sauce can last about 7 days in the fridge.
Make real Mexican enchiladas! This chicken enchilada bake is colorful and full of great taste.
If you love Mexican recipes, definitely check our Mexican tortilla soup!
By the way, if you serve these chicken enchiladas for kids, don’t add jalapeno, as it will be too much spicy for a little one.
But here, at Cooking Journey, we love spicy food!
If you are using marinated jalapeno as we do, add a tiny slice, as it is more hot than the fresh one!
Chicken meals – dinner ideas
This is best chicken enchilada recipe, if you are looking for dinner ideas for two! Tasty and easy chicken dish to serve and enjoy. You can use basic cooked chicken for different dinner recipes.
If you prefer healthy meals in the oven, you can find more easy chicken dinner recipes check our Greek Moussaka.
If you love spicy dishes, share this recipe with your family and friends!
Chicken enchiladas - Easy chicken recipes
- a pot with a lid
- 7 x 10 inch / 18 x25 cm baking dish
- large bowl
- wooden spoon or spatula
- soup ladle
- two forks
- Baking tray
- 2 chicken breasts halved
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp corn meal or corn flour
- 1 tsp oregano dried, ground
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander seeds ground
- 1 tsp paprika ground
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper ground
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno pepper minced
- 6 5/7 oz tomatoes in juice canned
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup parsley or cilantro for serving
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- Bring water with salt to boil, add chicken breasts and bay leaves. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it steam 6 minutes more.2 cups water, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp salt, 2 chicken breasts
- While chicken is steaming, start making enchilada sauce. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add minced garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring. Then add cornflour and all spices. Cook, stirring for 1 minute until aromatic.2 tbsp vegetable oil, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp corn meal, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp lemon pepper, 1/2 tsp chili flakes, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno pepper
- Whisk in 3 soup ladles of chicken broth (from cookied chicken) and tomatoes with juice. Crush tomatoes with wooden spoon and bring the sauce to a boil.6 5/7 oz tomatoes in juice
- Simmer enchilada sauce, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 7 to 10 minutes. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 205 C.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks. Add 1 cup of enchilada sauce and 3/4 of parsley (cilantro). Combine.1/2 cup parsley or cilantro
- Add a ladle of enchilada sauce to the bottom of baking dish.
- Brush every tortilla with 1 tsp of yogurt on one side and bake about 1 minute (each tortilla separately).1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 4 corn tortillas
- Fill each tortilla with 2 tbs of chicken mixture. Roll enchiladas tightly.
- Arrange enchiladas side by side in baking dish with seam side down, Bake chicken enchiladas 10 minutes.
- Cover with remaining sauce, and top with grated cheese. Bake 10 minutes more.1/4 cup cheese
- Let chicken enchiladas cool 5 minutes before serving. Add more parsley and yogurt on top, if you wish.