Easy and delicious protein-rich chicken dinner. Peanut butter chicken is made with pantry staples. This creamy and nutritious dish is our family favorite weeknight meal!
You can serve peanut butter chicken with rice, barley or vegetables. Tasty and spicy sauce is a hit! Quick dinner idea that is ready in 20 minutes.
It is gluten-free, soy-free, egg and lactose-free, as well as sugar-free recipe. But check the label of your peanut butter sauce to be sure it doesn’t include salt.
I used chunky peanut butter sauce for this recipe to have crunchy peanut bites. But you can also use creamy butter and sprinkle roasted peanuts on top to add crunchiness.
Chicken breast is my choice for this recipe, and peanut butter adds good fats and extra deliciousness! You can also use boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
This is a healthy and tasty choice for your next dinner! Quick and flavorful dish that will become your go-to recipe for a busy week. This dinner food will give you energy and keep you full.
It is all cooked in one skillet, no special equipment needed. Moreover, it is made with simple ingredients. What else do you need for your next meal plan?
What is peanut butter sauce made of?
Peanut butter sauce is made with natural chunky peanut butter, chicken stock, vinegar and spices. I added cayenne, turmeric and black pepper. I also like to sprinkle with chili flakes and scallions before serving.
You can regulate the thickness of the peanut sauce by adding more stock to thin it. You can also add coconut cream to make it creamier. Coconut and peanut flavor combination is really good!
I used natural chunky peanut butter. There is no salt and I like it! You can taste the sauce and adjust flavor, if you need more salt in your dish.
If you don’t like chunky pieces of peanuts, you can use creamy peanut butter instead. Sprinkle toasted peanuts on top of the dish!
Does peanut sauce taste like peanut butter?
No, it is spicy with peanut aftertaste. Rich and delicious. It is very addictive, especially if you are peanut butter fan like us! You can try it with almond butter, but obviously in won’t be peanut butter chicken anymore.
You can adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding more chicken stock to thin it or cooking it further to evaporate extra liquid.
If you like cooking with peanut butter you should also check our Peanut Butter Banana Bread that is perfect for breakfast! Check that post, where I write about which peanut butter to use. It can be helpful.
How to make peanut butter chicken?
First fry chicken bites in coconut oil for 5 minutes. You can use olive oil or peanut oil (not peanut butter!) instead. Rotisserie chicken can be used instead of chicken breasts, but skip the frying step.
Stir in garlic flakes, cayenne, turmeric, ground pepper and salt to your taste. You can also mince and add 1-2 garlic cloves instead of flakes.
I like to use dried spices, when cooking. They are always at hand and can be incorporated quickly.
Add chunky peanut butter, rice vinegar and low-sodium chicken stock to the pan. Alternatively, prepare chicken stock from the cube.
Cook on a low heat, preferably covered with a lid, for 10 minutes.
You can adjust the thickness and creaminess of the sauce by adding more chicken stock to thin it. It is possible to add coconut cream, if you like a creamier sauce.
In this recipe chicken is cooked, covered with a thick sauce that is just enough to cover the poultry.
This was portioned to 3 meals, but you can regulate according to your desire.
How to store and reheat you chicken dinner
Let it cool a little before placing in the fridge. It will keep up to 5 days in the air-tight container.
The sauce will thicken in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes or in a sauce pan on the low heat. You can add a little water or chicken stock to make the sauce thinner. It may thicken more, when reheating.
Tips to make peanut butter chicken:
- Cook on low heat, covered with the lid until you reach the consistency of the sauce that you like.
- Fry chicken breast pieces for 5 minutes on both sides. Use any vegetable oil for frying.
- Don’t cut breast in too small pieces, or you will end with dry poultry.
- Use skinless/ boneless chicken breast or thighs.
- Add chunky or creamy peanut butter.
- Adjust the salt according to your taste, as some brands of peanut butter are more salty.
- Adjust the sauce by adding more chicken stock or peanut butter. You can also add coconut cream.
- Serve with rice, barley or vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.
Other chicken recipes
Check our other delicious chicken recipes for your next dinner!
- Easy baked apricot chicken
- Roasted chicken and vegetables
- Chicken enchiladas
- Baked chicken breasts
- Baked chicken thighs
- Zucchini lasagna with chicken
- Avocado chicken salad
This is a truly delicious combination of tender chicken pieces with peanut butter and and crunchy bits of nuts! What’s great, you can also serve this peanut butter chicken cold on top of the vegetable salad.
We highly encourage you to try out this recipe! The only thing you should think, when cooking this dinner, is the amount of spices, salt and thickness of the peanut sauce.
Hope you will enjoy it as much as we did!
Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to receive up-to date healthy recipes and amazing desserts! And if you make this peanut butter chicken or one of our other recipes, tag us to let us know. We love to see what you are cooking!
Peanut Butter Chicken
- large pan or wok
- lid for the pan
- 3 chicken breasts cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp garlic flakes or 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp peanut butter chunky
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock or prepared from the cube with water
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes optional
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions optional
- Heat oil in a pan.1 tbsp coconut oil
- Fry chicken 5 minutes, stirring, so it is cooked on both sides.3 chicken breasts
- Add garlic flakes to the pan.1 tbsp garlic flakes
- Stir in spices.1/4 tsp cayenne powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Add vinegar.1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Add chicken stock.1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Add chunky peanut butter, stir together.4 tbsp peanut butter
- Cover with the lid and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice or vegetables, sprinkle with skallions and chili flakes on top.1/2 tsp chili flakes