Updated on September 21, 2018
Baked trout with asparagus is low in calories and good for your health.
If you wonder, how to cook rainbow trout, here is one of the easiest seafood recipes to make! Baked trout is beautiful lean dish, best option for the dinner!
Roasted trout and asparagus is probably the best healthy dinner to serve! Just season well, roast the fish and vegetables in the oven and you have no-hassle fish dinner.
Mr. Rainbow Trout, roasted trout
Baked trout is an excellent source of protein. Moreover, it is rich in omega-3 acids, potassium, phosphorus, selenium and B vitamins.
American Heart association recommend to serve cooked fish twice a week. So roasted trout is one the easiest fish recipes that you can use for one of your day meals!
Cooking trout is easy, just rinse the fillet and roast it in the oven, skin side down, about 15 minutes or even less.
Trout vs Salmon
Both trout and salmon belong to the same fish family and can be easily substituted one for the other, when cooking. Moreover, both fish are highly valued food. However, most trout have a milder flavor than salmon. As for nutrition, salmon has D vitamins, but trout has B vitamins.
For example, let’s analyze nutrition of 1 serving Chinook salmon and Rainbow trout, both cooked dry heat. Trout has 144 calories, total fat 6.1 grams, of which saturated – 1.8 grams. On the other hand, salmon has 196 calories, total fat is 11.4 grams, of which saturate – 2.7 grams. So here you can see that salmon has more calories and fat. Trout has 20.6 grams of protein, but salmon more – 21.9 grams. Salmon also contains more cholesterol & sodium, which is 72mg & 51 mg, but trout has only 58 mg & 36 mg.
Rainbow trout has more calcium – 73 mg, when salmon has only 24 mg. On the other hand, salmon has 429 mg potassium, when trout has only 375 mg. Moreover salmon has a little bit more iron, 1 mg in total. This was analyzed, using “Very Well” nutrition calculator.
Now let`s talk about asparagus.
Asparagus is great addition to the fish, not only because it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals. But also roasted asparagus has a mild nutty flavor, that is well paired with rich flavor of rainbow trout.
Of course asparagus has more health benefits when it’s in season (from February to June), but it is available all year round!
To prepare asparagus, rinse it under cool water, remove all the dust with a brush, if needed. Snap off the bottom of each spear (about an inch or so) with your fingers. You should do this without any effort. The unneeded woody end of asparagus will naturally break and leave you the good tender part of it. In the end, remove excess water with paper towel.
To my mind this is one of the best roasted trout recipes to try! Do you agree? If you prepare this baked trout fillet, served with asparagus, share your happy dinner picture with us.
We also have some great healthy and easy ideas for dinner with vegetables. Try our Cauliflower curry or Cauliflower rice, prepare stuffed pumpkin or eggplant boats! Let’s stay in touch, because we have new recipes every week, that I’m sure you would love to taste!
Baked Trout with Asparagus
- Baking tray
- a bowl for mixing
- paper towel
- 7 stems asparagus cleaned, thick ends snapped
- 1/2 trout fillet with skin on
- 1 wedge lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 3 wedges sweet mini tomatoes (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 425 F / 220 C.
- Place clean asparagus in a bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, add garlic, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, mix together.7 stems asparagus, 2 tsp pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp salt
- Place asparagus in baking tray in one layer. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
- Wash and clean the fillet with paper towel. Add ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper.1 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper
- When asparagus is ready, place it aside.
- Raise oven heat to 450 F/ 230 C.
- Place fillet in the same baking tray with olive oil - skin side down. Drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon.1 wedge lemon, 1/2 trout fillet
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (check if it's ready with a fork, it should start falling apart).
- Serve on the plate - asparagus, then fillet on top. Add some lemon and tomato slices, if you like.3 wedges sweet mini tomatoes