Cauliflower rice is tasty and healthy side dish, good substitute for the traditional rice.
This is one of the vegan, gluten free, paleo and low carb cauliflower recipes to try! Moreover, it is surprisingly easy to make.
Here is video recipe:
Flavor of cauliflower rice
To boost the flavor and color, I added spinach and spices to cauliflower rice. I decided to add chilli flakes to add spicy hint and beautiful look. On the other hand, cumin seeds makes cauliflower dish more aromatic.
Try also adding beans or peas, chopped carrot or zucchini to make cauliflower rice stir fry. Moreover, mushrooms will make it more flavorful. Cauliflower will absorb all these delicious flavors, so you will have a perfect cauliflower side dish for your family or a healthy snack. If you want to make it as a main dish, to my mind, better check our cauliflower curry recipe, or add more vegetables to this cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower rice – healthy meal for every day
If you are on a low carb or paleo diet, you should definitely consider one of our healthy cauliflower recipes for eating almost every day. One cup of traditional rice contains about 45 grams of carbohydrates (white& brown rices – the same amount), while a cup of cauliflower rice has only 5 grams. Moreover, a cup of cauliflower rice has only 28 calories, 10 % of fiber, 10 % of vitamin B-6 and 90 % of vitamin C from recommended everyday value.
What’s great, cauliflower rice is a quick and easy recipe, because it doesn’t need much time to cook! Moreover, the taste is good, it has mild sweet nutty flavor. And you can regulate the spices to your taste, too.
Making cauliflower rice at home
There are some brands available in the store, where the cauliflower is already riced and packed. But, to my mind, raw fresh cauliflower may be cheaper and will have more flavor. It is better to invest in good food processor, but you can also use old-school grater to make cauliflower rice. Once you prepare raw cauliflower rice, you can store it in the fridge for about 3 days or a month in a freezer, until you’re ready to use it.
Cooking cauliflower rice
There are different ways to cook cauliflower rice. But I love the most cauliflower rice stir fry. I stir-fried the rice on a pan with a cup of water to get the light and moist textured cauliflower rice. You can add a little bit of olive oil or nut oil for more flavor. Sauteed cauliflower tastes great, too.
To my mind, it would be great to steam the rice as well. However, be careful not to overcook it, as it will become mushy. On the other hand, if you bake the cauliflower (it’s more time consuming), you will have more nutty flavor.
Enjoy your bowl of cauliflower rice!
Cauliflower rice - Easy vegan recipes
- ½ cauliflower middle size
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt to your taste
- 1 dash black pepper to your taste
- 15 g spinach, chopped /0.53 oz
- 4 spinach leaves for decoration
- 2 tsp chili flakes to sprinkle on top
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup water
- Cut cauliflower into smaller pieces and blend in food processor until it reminds rice.
- On the dry pan toast cumin seeds for 30 sec until fragrant, leave them aside.
- Heat the olive oil on the medium heat and add cauliflower rice. Cook few minutes, stirring.
- Add toasted cumin seeds, salt and pepper, stir.
- Add water, cover with lid and cook for about 6 minutes until soft.
- Add chopped spinach, stir for a minute, remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Decorate with spinach leaves and chili flakes.