Creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes is one of our favorite easy fall recipes for dinner. Penne pasta is covered with mushroom sauce, with juicy tomatoes on top. It is an easy comfort food recipes, great for dinner or lunch.
What I love about this dinner idea is that you can make mushroom sauce ahead of time and store it in the fridge. When you want to make a dinner, just cook the pasta al dente (about 2 minutes less than instructions suggests) and heat the mushroom sauce with drained pasta and tomatoes and serve!
You can also make this creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days, reheat in microwave or on a pan, stirring, just until pasta is heated through (about 5 minutes or less).
Creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes is such and easy and delicious fall recipe for dinner everyone should have once in a while. You will taste creamy mushrooms with silky pasta and fresh bites of tomato. Of course the grated cheese on top is a must! Just the one you love, Grana Padano, Parmesan or the one you tasted recently in your local farm? This is a comfort dish with ingredients that you love!
Cooking the creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes
I cooked my penne rigate pasta al dente in a salty boiling water, then drained and added to the pan with the sauce. Stir the pasta with mushroom sauce and chopped tomatoes for 1-2 minutes and serve, sprinkled with dill, cheese and Italian seasoning!
I recommend adding the drained pasta immediately to the sauce, otherwise it may stick together. However if your pasta is ready, but you are still cooking the sauce, no stress! Just drain the pasta (or it will continue cooking in hot water), and stir in half a tablespoon olive oil. Mix oil with pasta in the same pot and leave it there until you are happy with your sauce, the pasta will be good!
How to make mushroom pasta sauce
To make mushroom pasta sauce for two, you will need about 7 mushrooms, 1 shallot, a cup of milk and few spices. Sometime I make the sauce with Greek yogurt or cream, but this time I made the sauce with milk. I always have a pack of milk in my fridge, do you?
To make mushroom pasta creamy, you can add:
Greek yogurt without flavor.
So many options! Just look in your fridge, haha! I had milk, so I used it to make creamy mushroom sauce. To make the sauce a little less runny I reduced the milk during the cooking process and added a spoon of flour. Quick and easy creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes, but full with flavor!
Just add flour by teaspoon unless you have the thickness you will like. Don’t forget, that the liquid will evaporate during the cooking process, so it will make the sauce thicker, too. Of course by adding Greek yogurt, creme fraiche, mascarpone or ricotta, you will need much less flour or even make it without flour at all! It will be more fatty and full, too.
To spice the sauce up, I used dried tarragon (also know as estragon) which goes really well with mushrooms and creamy sauces. Add salt and pepper, too. When the sauce was cooked, I tasted it and decided to add more pepper, so as I will mention in the recipe, adjust to your taste.
Moreover you can choose any mushrooms for this pasta sauce. Mushrooms really add amazing flavor to any savory dish! I also browned shallot for more taste. You can add chopped garlic clove, but I’m not the fan of garlic, combined with pasta.
Do you like Fall Recipes as much as we do? then check this awesome 60+ Fall Recipes round up!
How to make Italian seasoning
I finished this creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes with Italian seasoning. You can buy it in your shop or you can make your own, as I did. Combine equal amount of each dry spice: basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, add a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. Store in a cool dry place and sprinkle over your pasta dishes!
You will enjoy this creamy mushroom pasta with tomatoes, it’s a quick, easy and delicious dinner for two! And if you are preparing for more people, just grab a bigger pan, double the ingredients and have fun!
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Tomatoes - Tasty Dinner Ideas
- 4 handful penne rigate pasta
- 1 big tomato
- 1 tsp dry basil ground or fresh chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For mushroom sauce:
- 7 big mushrooms /230 g / 8.10 oz
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup full fat milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dried tarragon ground
- 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 tbsp shredded cheese
- Chop the mushrooms and shallot, leave aside.
- Scoop out the liquid part with seeds of tomato and discard it. Chop the tomato.
- Heat pan with olive oil. Add chopped tomato and basil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring until softens.
- Meanwhile set a pot with water to boil.
- Remove cooked tomatoes and leave aside in a bowl.
- Add more olive oil to the pan, if needed. Add chopped mushrooms, shallot and cook on medium heat, stirring, until browned, for about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, estragon, while cooking.
- When your water is boiling, add a teaspoon of salt, then adjust the heat to medium and cook pasta for 8 minutes.
- After mushrooms are cooked, add a cup of milk and stir in flour. Cook on small heat, stirring for 4 minutes, until slightly thickened and bubbling. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if needed.
- When your pasta is cooked, drain it in collander and add to a pan. Stir the pasta with sauce for about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and serve pasta with mushroom sauce. Stir in cooked tomatoes, add grated cheese and chopped dills on top.
- Enjoy the comfort dinner!