Irish beef stew is incredibly rich and flavorful comfort dish. After serving it on St. Patrick’s day, you’ll need it again and again! Thick beef broth with soft melt-in-your mouth meat and vegetables. Simple beef stew recipe, but so far best we’ve tried! Perfect Irish dinner to enjoy with your family and friends.
This easy stew recipe is a one pot dinner, made on a hob or stove top. Irish Beef and Guinness stew can be made ahead of time and serve 6-8 people depending on the portion size. It takes time to cook, but it is so simple to make! Slow cooked beef and vegetables is an good comfort food to enjoy on a chilly days.
One the best Irish recipes to try!
The prep time is about 15 minutes and you can do other things while your beef stew is simmering for 2 hours.
What is Irish Stew made of
First, check if you have all the ingredients for this Irish stew recipe. You will need beef or lamb, potatoes and carrots, onion and leek, garlic and thyme. To add to beef stew more depth, you will need Irish stout, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth or stock. Moreover, you will need some olive oil.
By the way, traditional Irish stew is made with lamb, but beef is more available for every day hearty meal. Use chuck or brisket parts that have some fat on them is a perfect stew meat. And you can use only beef, only lamb or combine together, if you wish so!
What spices in Irish stew? Salt and pepper – easy as that. No additional spices needed, beef stew will develop the flavors with garlic, onion, thyme and stout.
What beer to use in Irish stew? True Irish stout like Guinness highly recommended, it should have roast, heavy dark wheat taste with a little sweetness. It will add more color and flavor to your Beef and Guinness stew.
How to make Irish Stew
Wash and peel vegetables, cut roughly into cubes or thick slices. Wash and cut the beef into big chunky cubes that can be cooked for a long time. You don’t need to be very precise with cutting in beautifully, as this is a hearty family stew!
When your vegetables and beef are prepared, heat some olive oil in a big stew or soup pot with thick bottom. Add some beef cubes and brown for a minute on each side without stirring. Don’t overcrowd the pot! Remove the pieces to a plate and repeat with remaining beef until all is browned. Add more olive oil, if needed before second or third batch of browned lamb or beef.
Meanwhile, chop the garlic, onion and white part of leek (use the green part for other recipes or for garnish).
Remove the last batch of browned beef from the pot and add chopped garlic, leek and onion. Cook, stirring for a minute, then add beef and all remaining vegetables. Cover with water and beef stock, add a cup of extra stout, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
You can definitely use canned beef broth instead of stock, too.
Make sure everything is covered with liquid, add more, if needed. Bring to a boil, then cover with lid so that steam can escape. Simmer on low for two hours.
The liquid will reduce almost in half, the vegetables will fall apart and melt in your mouth! And don’t worry, alcohol will evaporate in this time. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed (careful, it will be very hot).
Moreover, you can add frozen peas about 4 minutes before the end of cooking.
How to thicken Irish beef stew
- If you’re unsure or want it doesn’t thicken as you like it, simmer half hour more.
- Boiling off water doesn’t help? Well, try to mix a teaspoon of flour with a tablespoon of water in a separate bowl, add to the stew and cook 2-5 minutes furthermore, until thickens.
- You can also use cornstarch instead of flour with the same method above
- Remove 1-2 tablespoons of potatoes from the stew. Mash these vegetables with a fork and mix it back in the stew. If you have some flaked potatoes, you can add as well.
You will enjoy this easy beef stew recipe! No need to go to Dublin pub, just enjoy this homemade beef stew with your family.
How to serve Irish stew
I like to serve it in a bowl with chopped fresh parsley on top and Irish soda bread on the side. If this Irish beef stew is not enough for you, serve it with garlic mashed potatoes or Colcannon or Mashed Turnips.
Irish Stew and mashed potatoes (colcannon) is best match, to my mind. Oh, and don’t forget a good crusty bread.
Perfect Traditional Irish Dinner, isn’t it?
Hope your family will enjoy this Irish stew with beef! This is truly a filling good recipe. You can store it in the fridge in the same pot for a week. Reheat it on a stove in a smaller pot or microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring once in a half time.
I think Irish recipes with potatoes are absolutely irresistible. You should try this beef stew. Happy cooking and have a great St. Patrick day!
Irish Beef Stew – Dinner Ideas
- large pot
- 900 g beef chuck or brisket cut into big cubes
- 4 potatoes medium, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, white part, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup Guinness Irish stout
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef stock low sodium
- 5 springs fresh thyme
- 5-6 springs fresh parsley optional, for serving
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a big pot. Add beef cubes and brown for a minute on each side without stirring. Don’t overcrowd the pot!2 tbsp olive oil, 900 g beef chuck or brisket
- Place browned pieces of meat on a plate and repeat with remaining beef until all is browned. Add more oil, if needed before browning second or third batch.
- Add chopped garlic, leek and onion to the pot. Cook, stirring for a minute, then add vegetables.4 potatoes, 1 leek,, 1 onion, 4 cloves garlic, 3 carrots
- Add browned beef, cover with water, beef stock, add stout. Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper. Make sure everything is covered with liquid, add more water, if needed.1 cup Guinness Irish stout, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups water, 2 cups beef stock, 5 springs fresh thyme, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
- Bring to a boil, then cover with lid, so that steam can escape. Simmer on low for two hours. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Wait about 10 minutes and serve. Add chopped parsley for each serving.5-6 springs fresh parsley