Last Updated on September 14, 2018
If you like eggplant you should try this eggplant recipe – Stuffed Eggplant Boats. Eggplants stuffed with feta, tomatoes and garlic – pretty good combination, every one will enjoy! Baked stuffed eggplant boats is one of healthy vegetarian dinner ideas to share.
This recipe is really easy to make, eggplant boats are delicious!
You can serve it as a main dish or a snack, it is pretty versatile and delicious way to eat your vegetables. We love feta, if you don’t, you can substitute it to mozzarella or other favorite cheese.
Here is step by step video recipe:
Tips for stuffed eggplant
Sliced eggplants get brown very fast, which means the have powerful antioxidants. You can drizzle them with lemon juice or wrap in a plastic to prevent this. However it doesn’t effect the flavor in the end.
You can use regular tomato for this recipe, but small cherry tomatoes add beautiful sweetness to this dish. Moreover, stuffed eggplant boats will be delicious, if topped with tomato sauce!
Feta cheese in stuffed eggplant
I made these eggplant boats with feta cheese, which adds tangy, salty flavor and is lower in calories than other types of cheese. But you can skip the cheese and add more tomatoes or choose your favorite cheese instead!
To my mind, these eggplants are better served right from the oven. But it could be a beautiful eggplant salad, served in edible eggplant boats too.
Eggplant can be frozen
This stuffed eggplant can be frozen for up to 3 months. Store in in the freezer bags or individual containers. Reheat in the oven for about 10-20 minutes until warmed through.
Stuffed Eggplant Boats - Baked eggplant recipes
- 2 eggplants large
- 1 onion large
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 spring parsley small
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 125 g feta cheese /4.4 oz
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt to your taste
- 1 tsp pepper to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise. Spoon out the center of eggplants to make shells. Leave the shells and eggplant aside. You can drizzle it with lemon, so the will not brown.
- Chop onion, garlic, parsley and eggplant flesh.
- In a pan cook onions with garlic on a medium heat for 5 minutes, add chopped eggplant and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in parsley and chopped tomatoes. Slice some feta cheese and add it in a pan. Add breadcrumbs and mix everything.
- Place eggplant boats on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper and drizzled with olive oil.
- Stuff the shells with prepared vegetables and feta, distribute it evenly to all eggplant boats.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until eggplants are tender and brown.