Dutch apple pie is a perfect Thanksgiving dessert. It combines all the fall flavors of apples and cinnamon in a pastry. Such a delicious pie that you can share with your family with a good cup of tea or coffee.
If you’re searching for a delicious apple dessert, look no further! Dutch apple pie can be eaten warm or called, served with whipped cream or ice cream. One of the best dessert ideas for Thanksgiving!
This is a great apple pie recipe from scratch. Try it and you’ll love it!
Traditional Dutch apple pie
It is common to see Dutch apple pie, topped with cinnamon streusel. But there is the other version of this dessert that is not crumble pie. The original recipe from the 16th century called for the regular pie crust from bottom and top and pie filling.
So here I will bring the second version of traditional Dutch apple pie. It is so delicious, when you enjoy it warm, with all those apple layers, covered in cinnamon. A dreamy fall dessert, an amazing apple pie recipe!
I think this one was too similar to the American classic apple pie, so the version with streusel topping became more popular. Crumb pie was originally called appelkruimeltaart.
The second version of Dutch apple pie recipe that you see here is appeltaart, baked in Dutch oven with lattice topping. I changed just two things – baked it in a regular oven, and peeled apples.
Also I wanted to test my Broaches Pie style pastry embossing dough roller to make the topping. If you don’t have it, you can use a standard lattice topping in a criss-crossing pattern of strips.
Difference between Dutch apple pie and French apple pie
As I already mentioned before, Dutch apple pie is made with apples in a pie crust on top and bottom.
French apple pie is called tart tatin, when the apples are caramelized in the bottom of the pan, and then it is flipped upside down for serving.
You should check our delicious classic French apple tart.
Which apples to choose for Dutch apple pie
The most popular Dutch apple for this pie is Elstar. Make sure to choose the apples that will be crisp and mildly tart. You can use Cortland or Jonathan apples instead.
Does apple pie need to be refrigerated
You can keep any baked apple pie at room temperature for two days. We usually cover it with a cotton towel, so it doesn’t stale. You can also slice the pie and cover with a plastic or foil wrap.
If you plan to eat the pie more than two days, better store it in the fridge, loosely covered with plastic wrap. You can also microwave it or reheat in the oven for about 15 minutes, if you prefer to enjoy it warm.
How to make Dutch apple pie
To make a pastry from scratch, combine dry ingredients – sugar and flour in a bowl. Add few butter cubes and press them into the flour-sugar mixture. I use two forks, but you can also use a pastry maker, if you have one, untill all the butter is mixed with dry ingredients.
Then add egg and water. Combine until the dough form the ball in your hands.
Wrap the dough in plastic and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Then roll it for the pie crust – bottom, sides and top, as shown in pictures.
For the filling I washed, peeled and removed the core of the apples. You can also leave the skin, if you like the apple pies this way. Combine the apples with lemon juice, flour, cinnamon and place in the prepared baking ware with the dough. Before that sprinkle the bottom of the pie with semolina, which will help absorb excess moisture from the apples.
It looks like a lot of apples, but it is just enough, so your pie won’t sunk. Fill the baking pan with the apples till the top.
This recipe makes one 8-9 inch / 20-23 cm tall apple pie. Sprinkle the bottom with semolina, so it absorbs the juice from the apples.
Spiced apples in a baked crust make a perfect pie for family dinner!
Cover with the top layer of the dough. Brush the pie with egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 -1,5 hour. Let it cool a little, then slice serve it with whipped cream or ice cream.
Enjoy Dutch apple pie!
Traditional Dutch Apple Pie (Appeltaart recept)
- 8 inch / 20 cm spring form pan
- bowls for mixing
- pastry decorator knife
- foil for baking
- spoons or spatula
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/3 cup flour all-purpose
- 3/4 cup butter cold and cubed
- 1 egg big
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 11 small apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp flour all-purpose
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp semolina
- 1 egg yolk for brushing the top
- Make the pastry. Combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Add few butter cubes and press them into the flour-sugar mixture with two forks or pastry maker. Combine with all butter cubes.1/2 cup sugar, 2 1/3 cup flour, 3/4 cup butter
- Add egg and water. Combine, using the fork, then form the dough with your hands.1 egg, 2-3 tbsp water
- Wrap the dough in plastic and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare your apples. Wash them, peel, remove the core. Make thin slices and transfer them to a large bowl. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, and combine. Then add cinnamon, sugar, flour and combine until apples are covered.11 small apples, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp flour
- Preheat the oven to 356 F / 180 C.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap it and slice in half.
- For the ball from one half and roll the thick round for the pie form.* Place the pan on the dough and cut the round for the bottom of the pie. Add it to the pan.
- From the leftovers make 2-3 pieces for sides and put them in the pie pan, pressed to the sides. Make sure to press the stitches really well.
- Sprinkle semolina on the bottom of the pie and place apples, leaving the juices in the bowl. Apples should be filled to the top of the pan.4 tbsp semolina
- From the other half of the dough, form the round and roll it. Using the pastry decorator knife make decoration, or cut the 1/2 inch lines and place them on top of the pie. You can also roll the dough, make few holes with small cookie cutters and place the round on top of the pie. Press the decoration to the sides of the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie with egg yolk.1 egg yolk
- Cover the top with foil, bake for half an hour. Then brush with leftover egg yolk and bake uncovered for 30-40 min until apples are softened and the top is browned.
- Let it cool in a pan, then transfer it to the serving plate.