Updated on February 23, 2022
Chocolate baked oats recipe that include simple steps to take your morning oatmeal to the next level. If you are bored with your breakfast, you need to try this trendy chocolate baked oats!
Baked oatmeal is made with ingredients that you most likely have for breakfast – oats, milk of choice, eggs, banana and cocoa powder.
If you are like us, and like to start your day with whole-grain oats, try to switch your regular breakfast menu with this TikTok oatmeal.
I love to enjoy it warm with a scoop of thick yogurt (or ice cream for breakfast). It is more like dessert for breakfast, which makes it so fun!
And it is really easy to serve delicious and nutritious breakfast food in individual ramekins for your family of 3-4 people. Keep in mind, if you add it to ramekins that are higher, they can cook longer (check if inserted skewer comes out clean).
It is very similar to chocolate mug cake, it is has cake texture and rich chocolate flavor!
How to make chocolate baked oats
To make baked oats with banana, just combine all ingredients in the blender, fill the ramekins and bake.
I used hand blender, but you can also mix in stand blender until smooth. It needs to be runny. Don’t overmix, or it will be like rubbery sponge.
You can also use a food processor instead of blender! If you don’t have blender or mixer, you can try to use your muscle and whisk, but don’t overdo it!
Bake 180 C / 355 F for 20-30 minutes (the time depends on your ramekins). Let chocolate baked oats cool for an hour on counter top and enjoy your breakfast!
Ingredients for cocoa baked oats
- Oats. I used oat flour, which blends into smooth batter, but you can use quick oats instead.
- Banana. I like the banana flavor and texture. Use a really ripe bananas! But you can make baked oats without banana! Just swap bananas with 2/3 cup of apple sauce or pumpkin puree. Keep in mind the oats will be less sweet, if you substitute banana.
- Baking powder. It helps baked oats to rise, so don’ t skip it.
- Cocoa powder. I used unsweetened cocoa powder. Better quality cocoa powder with have more delicious flavor.
- Eggs. Eggs will tie everything together. To make vegan baked oats, use flax egg instead. I showed how to make flax egg in this Vegan Burger Recipe.
- Vanilla. It adds flavoring, I use granulated vanilla, but you can use essence. It is optional ingredient.
- Milk. To make baked oats vegan, just use your favorite plant milk in this recipe – almond, full-fat coconut or oat milk.
- Sugar. Add sweetener of your choice, use maple syrup or a low-carb sweetener such as erythritol.
- Salt adds texture and enhances chocolate flavor.
- Protein powder. You can add a spoon of protein powder instead of a part of oat flour. For example, substitute 1/4 of oats with protein powder to make protein baked oats. The less additives protein powder has, the better.
- Topping. Sprinkle chopped chocolate or chocolate chips on top or other toppings, such as crushed nuts, pumpkin seeds or berries. You can also drizzle your favorite sweet sauce, jam or nut butter on top to make it more delicious! This part is fully customizable for your choice.
Are chocolate baked oats healthy?
Baked oats are nutritious, gluten-free, low in added sugar (can be fully substituted).
According to this Healthline post, Bananas are full of antioxidants, may improve digestion, kidney health and help loose weight. It contains potassium and copper.
Oatmeal benefits include weight loss, reduce risk of heart disease and cholesterol levels, it is a good source of fiber and carbs.
High quality cocoa powder and chocolate has also positive effect on out health! It is reach in polyphenols, which leads to improving cholesterol level and reduce inflammation. And it improved the mood, which is so important in the morning!
How to store chocolate chip baked oats
You can save other ramekins in the fridge to enjoy later on the busy week morning. Wrap it in plastic wrap or put into air-tight containers.
They will last up to 1 week in the fridge and can be enjoyed as a cold snack or dessert with your cup of tea or coffee!
If you put it early in the fridge, it may sink in the middle, but this won’t impact the flavor of this dessert for breakfast.
I haven’t tried to freeze baked oats, but it should last up to 3 months. However defrosting will definitely impact the flavor and texture of the oats.
However, if you prefer to reheat chocolate baked, I would suggest to bake 5-8 minutes less, so you don’t end with dry chocolate cake.
Let us know, if you tried this Viral TikTok Trend and how you customized your quick chocolate baked oats!
Here are more sweet breakfast ideas with oats for you:
- Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Homemade Granola Recipe
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Vegan Apple pancakes
- Healthy apple crisp
Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook to receive up-to date simple and healthy breakfast recipes like this!
And if you make this Chocolate Baked Oats recipe or one of our other desserts, tag us or comment to let us know. We love to see what you are baking!
Chocolate Baked Oats
- 1 blender or food processor
- 4 small bake-safe ramekins 5,7 inch / 14,5 cm wide tart dishes or creme brulee ramekins
- mixing bowl
- 2½ banana cut in pieces
- 2 cups oat flour or oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 1½ cup milk of choice
- 4 tsp dark chocolate chopped or chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cashews crushed, optional
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 355 F / 180 C.
- Add eggs to milk.1½ cup milk, 2 eggs
- Add bananas.2½ banana
- Blend previous ingredients until just combined.
- Add cocoa and blend.¼ cup cocoa powder
- Add 1/2 flour.2 cups oat flour
- Add other dry ingredients.2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla powder, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 pinch salt
- Blend until incorporated.
- Add rest of flour.2 cups oat flour
- Blend until smooth, but don't overmix.
- Fill in 2-4 ramekins.
- Sprinkle chocolate on top.4 tsp dark chocolate
- Bake 30 minutes until cooked through (inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.) Let it cool and serve with crushed nuts.1 tbsp cashews
Made this for breakfast this morning and my family gobbled it up! My kids said it felt like they got a chocolate cake for breakfast – a total win!
Chocolate cake for breakfast every day – every kid wants to eat like this!
This is like having dessert for breakfast! 🙂 This looks so good.
It really is a healthy dessert for breakfast!
Loved this recipe, was looking for different breakfast ideas and this was a big hit in our house. Will definitely make again!
Thanks for sharing this, Sara!
Any time I can have chocolate for breakfast I’m sold, and these chocolate baked oats are the best way to enjoy it!
Absolutely! Why to compromise on dessert for breakfast?
I’m loving this baked Oatmeal trend. This chocolate version is going on my to make list! Yum!
Chocolate is our fave as well!