Updated on October 3, 2018
THIS healthy apple cranberry crisp is gluten free and vegan friendly recipe. What’s more, THIS healthy apple crisp is easy, low in sugar recipe.
You can definitely eat it Every.Single.Day! I personally prefer it for breakfast, topped with your favorite yogurt, for example.
Baked apples are so good! Like these baked apples or served as healthy treats for Halloween. But baked apples are especially good topped with something crispy. And when cookies are not so healthy to eat often, crispy old-fashioned oats will save your day! You can actually add some of you favorite nuts on top too – like walnuts, almonds or pecans for more crunch and more deliciousness.
I usually serve healthy apple crisp with Greek yogurt to get everything crispy-creamy. Did I say serve it? We actually ate more than a half of it right from the baking tray, in less than few hours after taking photos.
Then we placed it in the fridge. Well, I prefer it warm, right from the oven, but it looked so irresistible in the fridge… Just bit by bit… and it was gone! You know, that’s comfort cooking for lazy weekend!
Apples to use for apple cranberry crisp
I love to leave apples with skin on, but if you prefer more creamy texture, you can peel it. However, you will peel of the vitamins!
I used garden apples that are not very juicy to eat, but have soft skin and soft texture, but doesn’t get mealy while baking.
If you buy apples in store for this healthy apple cranberry crisp, better choose sweet Gala, Jonagold or Golden Delicious. The will have the thinnest skin. Or the most popular, but more tart – Granny Smith.
Which apples do you prefer for baking? Leave a comment below, we would love to know!
So this healthy apple crisp is a guilt-free… I mean gluten-free, delicious dessert! Moreover, it is low in sugar – only 1 tea spoon of caramel syrup, which you can substitute to honey, if you like. Or use none of the sweeteners!
Perfect healthy apple cranberry crisp for every day, with all the ingredients you usually have in your pantry. Try this healthy recipe, when apples and cranberries are in season. Sweet apples and tart cranberries go really well together!
Health benefits of cranberries
Did you know cranberries are not only for Thanksgiving turkey sauce? They are harvested in September and October. I adore these little berries for their big amount of Vitamin C, E, K and B. I always have them in freezer!
By the way, you can save these berries for a year without freezer, too. Just put wild berries in clean glass jars, cover with cooled boiling water and leave in a cool place. They will become softer, but you will still have your vitamins near you!
This apple cranberry crisp can last in the fridge for up to week, covered with plastic wrap or foil. IT can also be frozen in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven for 20 minutes.
Have you checked our Apple Cranberry salad, made with fresh fruits, berries and feta? It will be great to serve it as a side dish on a Thanksgiving table!
Healthy apple crisp – Apple cranberry crisp
- Baking tray
- 5-6 fruits small apples core and seeds removed
- ¼ cup cranberries 60 g
- 1 tbsp water or apple juice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1¾ cup rolled oats 150 g
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut, shredded
- 1 tsp caramel syrup or honey to your taste
- 4 tsp grape seed oil or other vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Remove the core and seeds from apples. Cut apples to smaller pieces.5-6 fruits small apples
- Place apples, cranberries and water in the pot. Simmer for 5 min until fruits and berries start to release the juice and soften.¼ cup cranberries, 1 tbsp water
- Place cooked apples and cranberries into the baking tray.
- In a bowl combine all other ingredients to make crumbs with spatula or spoon.1/4 tsp cardamom, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1¾ cup rolled oats, 4 tbsp desiccated coconut, shredded, 1 tsp caramel syrup, 4 tsp grape seed oil
- Sprinkle the crumb on apples and cranberries
- Bake 40 min until golden and crisp.