Lemon Blueberry cake is a lovely summer dessert that you can make for Birthday or Wedding. Light blueberry sponges and lemon cream go so well together! Lemon and blueberries is a genius combination in dessert, one of the best cake recipes for summer.
It is an easy lemon cake recipe. You will need to make 2 blueberry sponges, cut them in half, then cover with delicious and light lemon buttercream, frost with cream cheese and decorate with blueberries and lemon zest.
If you are planning to make blueberry pound cake, you should try this recipe instead. The sponges are lighter and more airy, which makes it a perfect summer cake.
Lemon blueberry cake with cream cheese makes a lovely dessert to enjoy with tea or coffee! This recipe is perfect to make lemon blueberry cake for two. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This lemon blueberry cake without sour cream is also low in sugar. It is soft, light, moist and airy dessert that we crave so much in summer! A dreamy lemon cake with a perfect balance between sweet and tart.
I’m addicted to cake with cream cheese, especially the one with natural blueberry lemon flavor. I’m sure you will enjoy every layer of this summer cake!
- How to make lemon blueberry cake
- Decorating summer cake
- Storing Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Lemon cream200 g butter (room temperature)100 g icing sugar1,5 tsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)1/4 tsp vanilla155 g cream cheese55 g heavy creamFor 2 sponges:8 eggs (room temperature)200 g sugar240 g flour400 g blueberries (fresh)0,5 tbsp cornstarch1 tbsp lemon juice (+1 tsp extra)1, 5 tbsp lemon zestFrosting400 g cream cheese100 g icing sugar1/4 tsp lemon juiceDecoration
- Bake sponges:Preheat your oven to 350 F / 170 CWhip eggs with sugar for 15-20 min until pale and triple in size. Add Lemon zest and 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix 1 minute more.Sift in flour in two batches and gently and slowly fold into the eggs until fully incorporated.Layer bottom of 2 x 6 inch / 16 cm spring form pans or cake pans with parchment paper. Grease the edges of the pan with butter, and, preferably dust with flour. Remove the excess flour.Divide butter in two and pour it into prepared cake pans.In a separate bowl, mix blueberries with cornstarch and 1 tsp lemon juice.Evenly sprinkle blueberries in the cake pans.Bake about 30-40 min until top is golden and inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. Don’t open the oven door for at least 30 minutes!Cool the sponge in slightly open oven for 10 minutes.Cool the sponge in the room temperature for 20 min, then release the edges of the pan or flip it upside down and remove parchment paper.Let the cake sponges cool completely.With the serrated knife or cake leveler cut every sponge in half.Lemon Cream
How to make lemon blueberry cake
Blueberry cake sponges
This is a similar recipe I used to make amazing Cherry Chocolate cake. They turn out so light and easy to whip, without any butter or cream.
You will need just eggs, flour, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Whip eggs until fluffy and airy, gently fold flour in few batches. Then distribute batter to two 6 inch /16 cm cake pans.
Toss blueberries with lemon juice and a teaspoon of corn starch, then add to the batter slowly, one by one, so they sink slowly. This is a thin and airy batter. If you want it thicker and denser, you should try adding blueberries to Vanilla Cake Recipe.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean or with few crumbs. Let them cool completely before cutting lengthwise with a serrated knife and adding lemon buttercream.
Lovely, delicious yellow cream is my favorite treat. If you have some leftovers, you will be so happy to eat it, I promise! And how it can’t be delicious, when it’s made with butter, lemon juice, cream cheese, sugar and whipped cream.
It is sweet, but lemon adds desired freshness. This lemon cream is so addictive,
I could eat it with a spoon all day long!
Frosting the cake
If you make this Birthday or Wedding cake, you can use this easy cream cheese frosting recipe. It has just 2 ingredients – cream cheese and icing sugar, whipped until incorporated. I also added a little bit of lemon juice to make a nice finish.
I’m not a fan of butter-cream frosting, so I always use this recipe for my cakes.
I frosted this cake in naked rustic style, which makes it simple and casual. You can see the sponges and don’t need too much cream. This lemon blueberry cake doesn’t need much cream cheese frosting!
Decorating summer cake
I think summer cakes need a simple decoration. Fresh blueberries on top with a little bit of lemon zest and maybe some slices of lemon, whatever you like!
Storing Lemon Blueberry Cake
You can store this Lemon Blueberry Cake in the fridge up to 4 days. You can freeze the leftovers for up to 2 months in a special container or wrapped. Eat within 1 day after defrosting for 1-2 hours, depending on leftover cake slice size.
Store leftover lemon cream in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips to make this Lemon Blueberry Cake:
- Always use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor. And fresh lemon zest works the wonders, too.
- I used fresh blueberries for this summer cake, but if you’re using frozen, don’t defrost them before tossing with cornstarch and adding to the cake batter.
- Make sure eggs are at room temperature, so they will be easier to whip and rise. Leave them out for a fridge for an hour before whipping. You will also need room temperature butter for the cream
- Don’t miss the step of tossing the blueberries with cornstarch and lemon juice. It will help you avoid sinking blueberries too much in the pan.
I prefer the slice of this lemon blueberry cake with my morning coffee to french toast.
I love Blueberry season so much! Do you?
If you love making easy desserts, you should try these cake recipes with blueberries:
Hope you will enjoy this blueberry lemon cake recipe! Please share this post on your social media.
Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Serrated knife or cake leveler
- Hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment
- Two x 6 inch / 16 cm spring form pans or cake pans
- Baking paper
- Spoons and mixing bowls
- 200 g butter, room temperature
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1½ tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 155 g cream cheese
- 55 g heavy cream
For 2 sponges:
- 8 eggs room temperature
- 200 g sugar
- 240 g flour, all-purpose
- 400 g fresh blueberries
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice +1 tsp extra
- 1½ tbsp lemon zest
- 400 g cream cheese
- 100 g icing sugar
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- lemon slices or zest
- 2-3 tbsp blueberries
- flowers optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 F / 170 C
- Whip eggs with sugar for 15-20 min until pale and triple in size. Add Lemon zest and 1 tsp lemon juice and mix 1 minute more.1½ tsp lemon juice, 8 eggs, 1½ tbsp lemon zest, 200 g sugar
- Sift in flour in two batches and gently and slowly fold into the eggs until fully incorporated.240 g flour, all-purpose
- Layer bottom of 2 x 6 inch / 16 cm spring form pans or cake pans with parchment paper. Grease the edges of the pan with butter, and, preferably dust with flour. Remove the excess flour.
- Divide butter in two and pour it into prepared cake pans.
- In a separate bowl, mix blueberries with cornstarch and 1 tsp lemon juice.400 g fresh blueberries, ½ tbsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Evenly sprinkle blueberries in the cake pans.
- Bake about 30-40 min until top is golden and inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. Don’t open the oven door for at least 30 minutes!
- Cool the sponge in slightly open oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool the sponge in the room temperature for 20 min, then release the edges of the pan or flip it upside down and remove parchment paper.
- Let the cake sponges cool completely.
- With the serrated knife or cake leveler cut every sponge in half.
- Beat butter on high speed with a mixer, until it whitens and doubles in size, about 6 min200 g butter, room temperature
- Slowly add sugar, beating well between adding, so it incorporates well.100 g icing sugar
- Add lemon juice, vanilla and cream cheese and whip with a mixer just until combined.1½ tsp lemon juice, 155 g cream cheese, ¼ tsp vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream for 2 minutes until stiff peaks.55 g heavy cream
- Gently fold whipped cream with a spatula.
- Generously spread the cream between the layers of the cake.
Frosting and decorating
- Whip cream cheese with sugar and lemon juice just until combined.100 g icing sugar, ¼ tsp lemon juice, 400 g cream cheese
- Frost the cake with the cream cheese, scraping the sides. (optional)
- Decorate with blueberries and lemon zest.2-3 tbsp blueberries, flowers, lemon slices or zest