Harry Potter treacle tart is a very sweet golden bake that children and adults will love. It is Harry Potter’s favorite dessert. With Halloween around the corner, treacle tart is perfect for Hogwarts theme party.
Actually, it is very simple to make and you can experiment with decorations. We provide a template for the Harry Potter letters with a snitch and stars for your convenience.
Serve it with a good cup of tea or coffee. Maybe you should watch again the movie together with all your family members?
It is an easy and sweet British dessert. Those, who have a sweet tooth will definitely be fond of Harry’s treacle tart!
- Where did treacle tart originate from
- Treacle tart in Harry Potter
- What is treacle
- Ingredients for Harry Potter tart
- How to make Harry Potter treacle tart
- What do you serve with treacle tart
- How long will treacle tart keep
Where did treacle tart originate from
Homemade treacle tart is a popular British dessert that is really frugal and easy to make.
It originated in 19th century, when the golden syrup was invented.
Treacle tart in Harry Potter
Everyone, who read Harry Potter books or watched the movie, knows about infamous treacle tart. It was often baked in Hogwarts feasts, as well as by Kreacher – Harry’s elf-friend.
“Master has not finished his soup, would Master prefer the savory stew, or else the treacle to which Master is so partial?” — Kreacher fully acknowledging Harry as his new master.
Wondrous meals mentioned in Harry Potter series are very interesting and appealing. Along with Butterbeer, Pumpkin juice and Rock Cake, treacle tart is a must creation in every Harry Potter fan kitchen.
It certainly is a girlish theme and it brings me back to my childhood, when I was reading the books one after another, waiting for new movie trailers or playing hours computer games. Good times!
Although I wasn’t that much into recreating recipes from my favorite HP series, I certainly remember how fun and important it was for Harry, Hermione and Ron to spend time together with families or friends enjoying food or trying new edible gifts.
This open minded foodie thing resonates with what I love. I love trying new things, new recipes, experimenting in my kitchen. That is why this Harry Potter treacle tart was a special dessert to make and style for our blog!
And it turned out so well, I wish I had made it earlier! This dessert is definitely for an adult, who enjoys the story about Harry Potter adventures. But also those family members, who doesn’t know what a snitch is, will enjoy the dessert, too!
Share your memories, stories and enjoy this easy treacle dessert!
What is treacle
Treacle, also called golden syrup is a sugar syrup that is made from sugar cane or sugar beet. It has caramel taste and golden color, and it is sweeter than sugar.
It is a little bit similar to the American shoofly pie, made with molasses.
Black treacle vs treacle
Don’t confuse it with black treacle, which is similar to molasses. The taste is much deeper, richer, burnt and dense flavor.
Ingredients for Harry Potter tart
To make easy pastry, you will need butter, flour, sugar and water.
For the filling: dark or golden syrup, breadcrumbs, ginger, egg and milk.
I made treacle tart without lemon. But you can add a splash of lemon juice to cut the sweetness of the tart.
How to make Harry Potter treacle tart
Make the pastry, blind bake the tart shell. Combine the ingredients for the filling. Bake the tart with the filling. Make Harry Potter symbols from the scraps. Harry would definitely approve!
Combine the flour, sugar, cold butter cubes and water. You can use the kitchen mixer, but I usually use my hands to knead the dough.
It should stick together and don’t fall apart. Add a teaspoon water, if needed to stick it, or a teaspoon of flour, if it is too sticky.
Make a disc, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Roll the dough about 3mm/ 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to the tart pan, press it and cut the edges.
Press with your fingers to the edges and bottom of the pan. Prick the holes in the bottom of the tart.
Put the baking paper with baking beans and bake 10 minutes in the oven, preheated to 400 F / 200 C.
Remove the beans from the shell.
Filling for the treacle tart
Slightly heat the golden or dark syrup in the pan. Add in breadcrumbs, ginger. Slowly add milk ang egg, whisking until combined. Let it sit 5 minutes.
Pour the filling in the shell and bake the tart for 40 minutes.
Let it cool before adding decoration and serving.
Decoration of the treacle tart
Re-roll the scraps and cut Harry Potter letters, stars and a snitch. You can also cut the strips to make the lattice topping.
Alternatively you can discard the scraps and leave it without topping. Or cut the stripes make a beautiful lace topping instead.
Bake symbols 10 minutes in the oven, preheated to 350 F / 180 C. Let them cool and place on the tart.
If you want darker letters, brush them with egg wash.
Use this template to make decoration, if you like them this way!
What do you serve with treacle tart
This tart is good the same day or next day. So you can prepare it ahead of time! Next day it will be more set, but less crunchy.
This tart is so sweet, co I love to serve it with plain yogurt. For example Skyr, Greek or Turkish yogurt will be a good addition.
Pro tip! To take it to another level, add a splash of lemon juice in yogurt before serving on the tart!
You can also serve it traditionally, with a dollop of whipped cream or custard.
How long will treacle tart keep
Store it for couple days at room temperature or covered in an air-tight container in the fridge for a week.
I haven’t tried freezing it, but it should be good, covered in foil and plastic wrap for 4-6 months.
Check our other tart recipes:
Hope you will try this easy treacle tart recipe! Tag us on social media or comment to let us know! Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook to receive up-to date simple and sweet recipes like this!
Are you Harry Potter fan? Have you read the books or watched the movie series? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to connect!
Harry Potter Treacle Tart
- roller pin
- tart pan
- baking beans
- parchment paper
- 220 g flour all purpose
- 115 g cold butter cubed or sliced
- 2 tsp sugar granulates
- 2 tsp water + more if needed
- 450 g golden syrup or dark syrup
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp milk full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- Put flour on the working surface and add butter cubes.220 g flour, 115 g cold butter
- Press butter into the flour.*
- Add sugar to the floury mixture.2 tsp sugar
- Start kneading the dough starts to come together,
- Add water.2 tsp water
- Knead the tart dough. It should stick together and don't fall apart. Add more water just by little if it falls apart, or a teaspoon of flour, if it is too sticky.
- Make a disc, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough about 3 mm / ⅛ inch thick.
- With the help of rolling pin, transfer to the tart pan.
- Press the dough to the bottom and sides of the tart pan and cut the edges.
- Using the fork, prick the holes in the bottom of the tart.
- Put the baking paper with baking beans and bake 10 minutes in the oven, preheated to 400 F / 200 C.
- Remove the beans from the shell.
- Slightly heat the syrup in the pan. Add in breadcrumbs.450 g golden syrup, 100 g breadcrumbs
- Whisk together.
- Mix in ginger powder.1/2 tsp ginger powder
- Whisk in milk.3 tbsp milk
- Slowly whisk in beaten egg.1 egg
- Whisk the filling, adding lemon juice, if using. Let it sit 5 minutes.1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pour the filling in the tart shell.
- Bake the tart for 40 minutes.
- Re-roll the scraps of the dough.
- Use the knife and template to cut Harry Potter letters, stars and a snitch.**
- Carefully transfer the symbols and letters to the non-stick baking tray. Bake symbols 10 minutes in the oven, preheated to 350 F / 180 C.
- Let it cool before adding decoration and serving.