Updated on February 2, 2019
Easy strawberry tart looks amazing, it is made with fresh berries and sweetened with honey. This is one of healthy and easy strawberry desserts to enjoy all summer long! Fresh strawberry pie without jello.
I decided to make the filling for this easy strawberry tart that will be fresh and juicy, not cream-like. You can buy a tart shell and cut some strawberries to fill it and it will be good! I think the less actions are made with fresh berries (that are in season), the better.
So this fresh strawberry pie is healthy, made with real food, from scratch!
Of course, if you want to make this tart during the winter, it is possible to use frozen strawberries, too. Just regulate the thickness of the filling by adding a little bit more starch, if needed.
Tart shell for easy strawberry tart
However, it’s not completely dairy-free or vegan tart, as I added butter to make short-bread pastry tart shell. Of course you can make the shell with vegan butter, too!
This is an easy strawberry tart without cream, no eggs, and almost no baking (except for the tart shell). I love to make recipes from scratch, that is why I never buy ready-made crusts and shells for my desserts.
Well, except for the biscuits. I love using biscuits to make easy desserts like this Baileys cheesecake.
Why strawberry tart with jelly is bad
It’s ok if you make it once in a while. But you must read the labels on the package! I actually wanted to make it with jello at first. But when I read the list of ingredients…well, it’s not that bad, depending on the brand you use. But it contains coloring that is really bad for the health, especially for kids!
I’ve made a research and discovered that jello has unnecessary amount of synthetic coloring. Moreover, in some countries it is banned, because it is believed to cause dermatitis (inflammation of the skin). Wow, and it is sold in local store in beautiful package that any kid can grab!
So if you want a healthy strawberry tart, better use fresh ingredients and make everything from scratch. This is really easy dessert!
Moreover, it’s safe to eat this easy strawberry tart when pregnant.
That is why I decided to make this strawberry tart, using the starch and sweeten it with honey.
How to make strawberry tart
Well first of all, make a tart shell or tart crust. You will need only 3 ingredients to make this shortbread crust pastry. To make it you need 1 part of of butter, 2 parts of flour and a little bit of sugar. Mix sugar with flour and incorporate cold butter.
I love using my hands to make the dough, no mixer or food processor! It’s a small batch, you will get relaxed and sprinkle some love to this dessert.
The cooking nowadays is so hectic, that it’s so good to take your time to make some easy desserts like this strawberry tart!
Next, while tart shell is baking and then cooling, make a filling.
How to make strawberry tart filling
I used fresh strawberries for the filling. I didn’t puree them, because, to my mind, strawberry pieces look more beautiful and give interesting texture to the tart. When you have a bite, you will enjoy the fresh taste of the filling and a lovely crunch of the tart shell.
Cut strawberries and place them in a pot, cover with water and starch mix and heat until it thickened. In the end mix in honey to sweeten the strawberry filling. Pour strawberry filling in a tart shell (it can be slightly warm) and refrigerate about an hour until it is set.
This strawberry tart can be decorated with fresh strawberries and mint leaves before serving. Moreover, this easy strawberry tart can be served with ice cream or thick yogurt!
Check also our strawberry tiramisu or these easy strawberry desserts, served in glasses, that can be made with fresh strawberries, too! You will also love to try strawberry and rhubarb salad with awesome strawberry sauce to invite the summer to your kitchen.
Easy Strawberry Tart - Strawberry Desserts
- cling film
- small pan or pot
- a cup
- one 7 inch / 18 cm tart pan
- Rolling Pin
- 220 g flour
- 115 g butter cold, cut into cubes
- 2½ tsp sugar
- 270 g fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 5 strawberries
- 6 mint leaves
Make a tart shell
- To make a crust, sieve flour in a bowl, add sugar, combine together.220 g flour, 2½ tsp sugar
- Add butter in parts, incorporating it with your finger tips or using food processor. Work until you have a smooth dough.*115 g butter
- Make a disc, wrap and leave in the fridge for at least half an hour.
Make the filling
- To make filling, cut strawberries in smaller pieces add to a small pan. In a cup stir water with starch. Add to a pan with strawberries.270 g fresh strawberries, 1/2 cup water, 3 tbsp potato starch
- Put pan on a low heat and cook, stirring, up to 2 minutes until the filling thickens. In the end stir in honey and remove from heat. Leave aside to cool.1 tbsp honey
Bake the tart shell
- Preheat oven to 350 F /180 C.
- Roll the dough in size of your pan. Put it in a tart pan, trimming the excess. Make dots around the tart shell with a fork to prevent it from rising.
- Bake a tart shell for 15-20 minutes until it is golden and firm to touch. Let it cool before filling with strawberries. But it can be slightly warm.
Assembling and decorating strawberry tart
- Place strawberry filling in tart shell and leave in fridge until set, about an hour.
- Remove the tart from the pan and place on the serving plate.
- To decorate, cut strawberries in quarters (lengthwise) and place around the tart. Add mint leaves in between.5 strawberries, 6 mint leaves