Lemon tart is a perfect no bake dessert for spring. It’s an easy sweet and sour tart recipe that you can use for your Easter table, Mother’s Day or just to make a treat for a weekend at home!
The tart consists of chocolate base that is made with crushed chocolate biscuits, then filled with delicious lemon curd! It is a no bake tart, so you can let it set in the fridge.
This Easter spring dessert is an excellent source of vitamin C that we all need right now!
I’ve made few tests with baked lemon pies, but I decided that a no-bake version is much easier and looks prettier. There is no way it can fail, crack or curdle with this no-bake method. Of course it will be good only if you follow my easy step by step instructions!
The citrus filling doesn’t need any cream or condensed milk, just butter. It is refreshing, sunny and truly delightful!
Moreover, the bright yellow color looks so vibrant and makes me happy, you too? When life gives you lemons – make a sunny tart!
This is one of the best desserts for spring! Smooth, fresh, tangy and sweet, perfect to pair with a cup of tea. We are sure you’ll love this easy lemon recipe!
This tart is better than a lemon pie. Well, it actually is an easier version of lemon pie. If you’re searching easy recipes for no bake desserts, this is a must-try! You can make ahead this no bake lemon tart and it freezes well!
Can you freeze lemon tart and how long does it keep
This lemon tart can be wrapped and frozen up to 3 months. It can last in the fridge up to 1 week. You can also slice the tart and wrap and freeze these tart slices, so it will be easier to defrost it.
Is lemon tart healthy?
I think it is a great way to use your leftover lemons! Of course the lemon curd has concentrated C vitamin from lemon juice and zest. But this tart has sugar and biscuits.
If you’re looking for a healthier version, you need to check our no bake Healthy Lemon Squares with pistachio crust! If you’re a fan of lemon bars, you will love this easy spring desserts. They will be so good for your Easter table as well.
How to garnish lemon tart
You can garnish it with whipped cream or whipped egg whites on top. But this beautiful yellow color that represents spring is so beautiful! So I didn’t cover it, but added lemon slices, fresh strawberry, dried cranberries, desiccated coconut and mint leaves on top.
How to make a crust lemon tart recipe
This delightful lemon tart recipe is so easy from start to finish!
Without spending much time for making the pastry, I used crushed chocolate biscuits and melted butter. You can crush the biscuits in food processor or put them in a plastic bag and crush with the rolling pin.
Then add in melted butter, until it looks like a wet sand and is easy to form a tart crust. No bake chocolate crust is ready! Just press it with a spoon and fingers to your tart form bottom and edges. Let it sit in the fridge, while you’re making the lemon curd for tart filling!
You can make this lemon tart with graham cracker crust instead! Adjust the melted butter according to the biscuits of your choice.
How to make lemon curd
This is a lovely no bake tart with lemon curd inside! Delicious sweet and sour lemon filling guaranteed.
To make lemon curd, zest one lemon, then cut it in half and squeeze the lemon juice. Use only fresh lemon juice for this recipe!
In a heat-proof bowl, whisk egg yolks with lemon juice, sugar and zest.
Put the bowl over a double boiler or Bain Marie. It is simply a pot with a water and a bowl of lemon curd on top. Cook it in low for 10 minutes, constantly whisking just until the lemon curd thickens.
Remove it from heat and start adding the cubed butter one by one until all butter is used. You can push it through the sieve before adding the butter. This extra step will make a smoother texture, but I am pretty happy as it is!
Pour over the base and let it sit in the fridge overnight! Yes, NO OVEN. The eggs are cooked well over Bain-Marie and the filling will become thicker after few hours of chilling.
That’s it! Let this sunny dessert set, decorate and serve!
As I already mentioned, you can top it with whipped cream or meringue, but I didn’t want to hide its yellow beauty. So I added lemon slices, strawberry, mint and dried cranberries for decoration.
This recipe makes one 7 inch / 18 cm tart pan. Perfect dessert for a small family! Make sure you have a tart pan with removable bottom. I also recommend to butter the pan, so it will be easier to remove the tart.
If you have a larger pan, you might want to double the recipe. In case you have a leftover lemon curd – store it in the fridge in a closed jar. Truly lovely refreshing dessert!
Spring dessert to enjoy for Easter
Besides this lovely tart, we have a lot of no bake desserts on our blog. You can use these ideas for Easter dessert. They are so good for a warmer weather and make the cooking less stressful.
Delightful Lemon Tart Recipe
- one 7 inch / 18 cm tart pan
- a pot and a heat proof bowl
- spatulas and spoons for mixing
- food processor or a bag with roller pin
- citrus juicer
- 165 g chocolate biscuits
- 80 g butter melted
Lemon curd filling
- 2 eggs medium
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 lemons for zesting and juicing
- 3 tbsp sugar or more to taste
- 115 g butter unsalted, cubed
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 strawberry
- 1 tsp dried cranberries
- 3 mint leaves fresh
- 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut crumbs
- Proceed biscuits in food processor until crumbs*.165 g chocolate biscuits
- Add melted butter into crumbs and proceed in a food processor or mix well with a spoon until it looks like a wet sand.**80 g butter
- Butter the tart pan. Place the wet crumbs and press with fingers to the pan to form the crust or tart shell. When you are happy with the crust, put it in the fridge.
- Zest one lemon.2 lemons
- Cut it in half and juice with a citrus juicer. Cut another lemon in half and juice it too. You will need 130 ml or half cup of fresh lemon juice.2 lemons
- Add eggs, egg yolks and lemon zest in a heat-proof bowl.2 eggs, 2 egg yolks
- Add lemon juice.
- Mix in sugar.3 tbsp sugar
- Put the bowl with lemon mix on a pot with boiling water or Bain Marie***. Cook on a low, constantly whisking for about 10 minutesor until you lemon curd thickened.
- Remove the bowl from heat and start adding butter cubes one by one, mixing with a spoon or whisk.115 g butter
- Mix in food coloring, if using.3 drops yellow food coloring
- Remove the tart shell from the fridge and pour lemon curd. Smooth it with a back of the spoon or spatula.
- Put the lemon tart in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight until set.
- Before serving, decorate the tart with lemon slices and cut strawberry. Sprinkle dried cranberries and desiccated coconut crumbs. Finally add mint leaves.1 lemon, 1 strawberry, 1 tsp dried cranberries, 3 mint leaves, 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut crumbs