Homemade yogurt popsicles with berries are perfect desserts or snacks on a hot day. You will need simple ingredients and a little bit of time to create layers that will remind you about sunset on the beach.
This popsicle recipe was made, trying to replicate the sun, the sea, the waves and the beach. Frozen sunset on the beach – all in one yogurt pop!
This is a fun and healthy frozen treat! Creative dessert or snack that your kids will love, but adults also will enjoy it on a hot summer day. This a good alternative to homemade ice cream, made with Greek yogurt.
This ice pop has only few ingredients like raspberries, yogurt, desiccated coconut, food coloring and refined sugar (or alternative sweetener). I used frozen raspberries, but you can use fresh ones, too!
Any red frozen fruit would go into these homemade yogurt popsicles!
Raspberry yogurt layer recreates fruity red sunset. Layers of blue yogurt are the sea and layers of white – sea waves. The yellow yogurt and coconut layer is the sand on the beach. So this homemade yogurt posicle is a sunset on the beach in your hands!
Do you see the seaside, when you look on the ice pop? I think this recipe for popsicles is perfect for summer party! DIY popsicles can be a fun pastime for your family.
I love the food with the story, so it may take more time to wait for each layer to freeze and make a hole in the middle. But the end result looks fun and beautiful.
If you love homemade ice cream, you need to try these yogurt popsicles. I can’t imagine a better healthy snack than frozen yogurt with berries on a hot day!
I used a little bit of sugar, because without it these frozen treat would be bland. But you can totally make sugar free popsicles, sweetening it with a little bit of stevia or honey. If you’re not sure you can buy healthy popsicles in your local store, better make your own, with real fruit and less sugar!
I also added vanilla extract, because it goes so well with other ingredients! It’s like homemade vanilla ice cream on a a stick, made with plain Greek yogurt.
We love to make healthy popsicles like this vegan cherry popsicle! I would stack my freezer with a lot of fruit pops to survive on a hot day!
Layers of homemade yogurt popsicles – how to make popsicles
Here is a list of what you will need:
- 4 popsicle molds with sticks
- metal stick
- few bowls to mix the ingredients
- blender or food processor to blend raspberries
The layers are fun to make! To make these homemade yogurt popsicles, you need to freeze every layer for at least 1 hour, except the last yellow one. Here are detailed process shots.
Start making the first “sunset” layer by blending raspberries with yogurt. Fill the pop molds with raspberry puree.
Freeze the raspberry layer for at least 1 hour until set.
Mix Greek yogurt with blue coloring, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Add a thin blue yogurt layer on top of the frozen raspberry layer.
When it’s set, spread a thin white layer of yogurt and freeze for half an hour. Repeat with more blue and white layers. Freeze each layer for half an hour.
You will need to end with 3 blue and 3 white frozen layers (see picture 17-18).
Then, using the metal stick, make a hole. Otherwise you can’t create so many layers on the popsicle stick! This part is tricky, so you need to find way to make a hole. I used my metal spoon, heated in the warm water.
If you want to make a popsicles with many layers, then you need to make a hole after most of them are frozen. I used metal spoon. You can find any metal stick in your kitchen or household.
The trick is to let the popsicles thaw for 10 minutes, then heat the metal spoon or whatever you are using in a hot water for few seconds.Using the stick, gently start spinning in the center until you have a hole, where you can insert your popsicle stick.
To make yellow layer, mix a cup of Greek yogurt with desiccated coconut. Then add yellow food coloring. Mix everything until you are happy with the color!
Fill the popsicle mold till the top with last layer of yellow coconut yogurt, letting it also flow in the hole, you’ve made. Insert popsicle sticks and leave to set overnight or for 4 hours.
You can create your own popsicle layers, using this method. You can also use vegan yogurt instead Greek yogurt and make a vegan popsicle!
How to unmold popsicles
Take out popsicles 15 minutes before serving. I recommend serving homemade yogurt popsicles on a plate with ice, so they won’t melt so quickly on a hot day.
Hold popsicle mold in one hand (or ask your family member) and try to pull it out with the stick. If it doesn’t go out, wait a little bit more, then try again.
You can also try to dip the molds in warm (but not hot!) water for few seconds and then try to pull the popsicles out.
Creative summer no bake dessert for adults and kids that is fresh, tasty and reminds you about seaside. What are you waiting for? Grab this homemade yogurt popsicle recipe and get creative this summer!
What fruit ice pops are your favorite? Leave a comment below, we would love to know!
Homemade Yogurt Popsicles
- popsicle molds
- metal stick
- bowls and spoons for mixing
1st layer (red)
- 2 tbsp frozen raspberries defrosted
- 1 tsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp icing sugar optional
2nd layer (blue)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- blue food coloring
- 1/2 tsp icing sugar optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
3rd layer (yellow)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- yellow food coloring
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Blend all ingredients for the first layer, add 1 tsp sugar to taste and distribute to 4 popsicle molds. Don’t insert popsicle sticks and leave in the freezer.2 tbsp frozen raspberries, 1 tsp Greek yogurt, 1 tsp icing sugar
- Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- For the second layer, mix half of yogurt with vanilla extract, blue coloring and sugar. Remove popsicles from the freezer and check if the top is set. Spread thin layer of blue yogurt and leave in a freezer for half an hour. When it’s set, spread a thin white layer of yogurt (don’t make it even, it should look like waves). And leave in the freezer for half an hour.1/2 cup Greek yogurt, blue food coloring, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp icing sugar
- Repeat 2 more times until you have 3 blue layers and 3 whites.
- Make a hole in the center, using metal stick, heated in a warm water. Check if your can fully insert popsicle stick.
- Mix all the ingredients for the yellow layer and add on top of the popsicle. Insert the popsicle stick and let it freeze for 4 hours or overnight.1/4 cup Greek yogurt, yellow food coloring, 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- To enjoy the popsicle, remove it from the freezer and let it stand about 15 minutes. Then remove from the mold and enjoy. Serve on the ice, so it won't melt quickly.