Updated on April 22, 2018
Black pearl is a perfect dessert for true chocolate lovers – dark chocolate outside, white chocolate mousse inside and a fresh jam in the center.
Today I’m inspired to show you my black pearl, which I found on the ocean bed… Ok, it’s actually made with tempered chocolate. When you cut the pearl, there is a surprise – white chocolate mousse and runny blackberry jam.
It is creamy, chocolaty, interesting dessert.
This is a perfect dessert for true chocolate lovers – Giant Black Pearl. Dark chocolate outside, white chocolate mousse inside and a fresh jam in the center to make a relief from all that chocolate goodness.
Here is step by step video recipe:
I decided to serve this dessert in sea shells. These are real sea shells that were brought long ago, when one of our relatives were on vacation near the sea side. Of course they were cleaned and washed thoroughly. But if you don’t have shells, you can buy fake ones or serve them on a plate. Add a little bit of biscuit crumb that reminds of sand, it will help to hold the pearl, and carefully put in a sand these gorgeous black pearl.
Surprise inside the black pearl!
You will definitely surprise your loved ones with this dessert! Maybe create it for someone, who just was on a vacation and is feeling sad to come back to reality? They will not know what is inside, until they cut it – cooking is all about fun too!
You need to temper chocolate for this recipe and it is better to do it with cooking thermometer. Tempering process will keep the shell glossy and shiny, tempered chocolate will hold the white mousse, which is quite heavy, and will not melt away fast, even if you serve it on a hot day!
Also make sure the chocolate shells are not too thin, so they can hold the mousse, but also they shouldn’t be too thick, otherwise it will be hard to cut the black pearl and it will be unpleasant to chew the chocolate.
It is a delicate work to make and fill the shells, but it’s worth trying, testing, surprising, having fun in the kitchen!
Giant black pearl - No bake chocolate desserts
- 400 g dark chocolate /14 oz
- 140 g white chocolate /5 oz
- 55 g heavy cream /2 oz
- 1 tsp gelatin bloomed in 2 tbsp water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 170 g heavy cream /6 oz
- 100 g blackberries /3.5 oz
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp biscuit crumbs
- Start by tempering the chocolate. Place 70 % of good quality dark chocolate on a double boiler. You will need food thermometer. Set your thermometer (46 C / 115 F) and melt it, stirring, until it reaches needed temperature. Then immediately remove it from heat and add remaining dark chocolate. Keep stirring. Reset your thermometer (31 C / 88 F). Stir until the chocolate cools and reaches needed temperature. You can use ice bath and save you time. Now the chocolate is ready to make the shells of our black pearl.
- Fill half of each mould. Spread the chocolate to the edges of the mould. And reverse to get the excess chocolate at the parchment paper. Clean the edges of the mould, so that they come out clean. And leave it to set in the fridge.
- Meanwhile prepare the mousse. Put white chocolate with heavy cream on a double boiler and let it melt completely, stirring until smooth. Remove white chocolate mixture from heat and add melted gelatin.
- In a separate jar with 2 egg yolks, add a pinch of salt. Whisk together, then slowly add egg yolks in a white chocolate mixture, whisking fast. Set the mixture back on a double boiler and heat for 2 minutes, stirring. Then cool it a little and leave in a fridge for 20 minutes.
- By this time chocolate shells should be set. Gently remove them from mould. They should be glossy and shiny.
- Whip the remaining cold heavy cream to soft peaks. Gently fold in the whipped cream in the chocolate mousse mixture. Prepare your shells for the filling. And fill in the white chocolate mousse just to the edges, not more. Smooth the top with a knife or spatula. Leave it to set for about 30 minutes
- Prepare the blackberry center. Add blackberries to the pan. Add some sugar and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then leave it to cool a little. Use a sieve to remove the seeds.
- With a small teaspoon remove the center of the mouse in each shell. Fill in the blackberry jam. Then carefully and fast put together our black pearl. And leave it in a fridge for about 30 minutes.
- I decided to serve this dessert in sea shells. Add a little bit of biscuit crumbs that reminds of sand, and carefully put in a sand these gorgeous black pearls.