Surprise your guests with chili ice cream and chocolate sponge cake! Easy dessert with lovely flavors of chili and chocolate that go so well together.
This chili ice cream recipe make will satisfy your cravings! I love the feeling of cold and hot, sweet and spicy in your mouth. If you love chili and chocolate, this recipe is definitely for you.
Easy no churn chili ice cream is a great summer dessert. You can regulate the “heat” in you homemade chili ice cream. Also you can use this simple no churn ice cream recipe to make your own flavors.
Chocolate sponge compliments the ice cream. To my mind, it is the best way to serve chili ice cream. Perfect ice cream and cake dessert to surprise your guests! Hot and cold pleasure in your mouth with indulgent chocolate in the end.
I also made a fun chocolate decoration and I will show you how! So if you’re looking for dessert with chili, follow this recipe.
How to make chili ice cream
To make a no churn chili ice cream, you will need whipping cream and condensed milk. To make it spicy and flavorful, add salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper. For the color I used beetroot juice and to enhance it – red gel food coloring. Food coloring is optional, but it makes this easy dessert much more vibrant.
First, whip double cream until soft peaks. In the other bowl combine condensed milk with spices and beetroot juice. Fold in whipped cream and add food coloring. When it all looks smooth, just put it in the freezer overnight.
This is how no-churn ice cream is made. Yes, you can make your favorite dessert without ice cream maker. You can experiment with this homemade ice cream recipe, add nuts or chocolate.
Moreover, making ice cream at home can be fun, if you incorporate all your family members in the process. Everyone can try to make their own flavor, isn’t it cool?
Chocolate sponge cake
This is the easiest recipe for chocolate sponge cake. You can use it to make a small cake or bake in molds to serve with the ice cream. Chili and chocolate is a great combination.
It is a simple chocolate sponge cake with subtle addition of chili. If you’re making chili dessert, you got to use chili! But the chocolate is more powerful here, so don’t worry it will compliment the ice cream.
To make chocolate sponge cake, mix flour, cocoa powder,sugar, baking powder, salt, ground chili and instant coffee. In another bowl, mix egg with milk, and vegetable oil. Then pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredient and gently combine.
Fill 3 molds, layered with baking paper and bake for 20 minutes until wooden skewer comes out clean.
You will need one cake for crumbs and the other one for serving. You can skip the crumbs and serve the three people or double the batch of batter. You can go with just the cookie crumbs, which will look great, too. Finally, cut the cakes in half lengthwise to serve more people!
Don’t forget to cool the chocolate sponge cake completely before serving, or it will melt your chili ice cream. If you love chocolate bakes, you should check our Vegan Chocolate Cake.
How to decorate chili desserts
The decoration is up to you, you can serve it with mint leaves and strawberries, but we decided it needs a chocolate nest.
To make a chocolate nest, you will need hot melted chocolate and very cold water. Put a tall jar with water in the freezer for 15 minutes, while melting the chocolate. Transfer melted chocolate to the pastry bag and cut the end. Push the lines in a cold water, moving in different directions.
Use the fork to remove the chocolate and place on the plate or tray, then put it in the fridge to set completely. This is so fun to make with kids!
If you are want to decorate with the crumbs, then crumble one of the cakes and place the crumbs on the plate.
Crush the cookies and put them on the plate.
Serve the cooled cake with chocolate decoration on top. Add strawberries and gummy berries, if using.
How to store chili desserts
You can make sponges and chocolate decoration ahead of time. Store sponges in an air tight container up to 4 days. Ice cream can be stored in the freezer up to 3 months. Make sure not to melt the chocolate decoration, so better store it in the fridge.
Let the chili ice cream soften before serving. Also serve it just before enjoying the dessert!
Chili Ice Cream with Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 3 molds about 3 inch/ 7 cm in diameter for baking
- 2 large bowls
- tall jar
- food processor or rolling pin and a bag
- fork and knife
- spatulas and spoons
- a baking tray with parchment paper
- pastry bag or decorating pen
Chili ice cream
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- 1⅕ cups double cream (whipping cream)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 4 tsp beetroot juice
- 5 drops red gel food coloring or more
Chocolate sponge cake
- 1,5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp vanilla flavored instant coffee powder
- 8 small strawberries
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 8 gummy candies Blackberries or use fresh blackberries instead
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp Chili flakes
- 4 cups water
- 2 mini packs Oreo cookies
Make chili ice cream
- Put condensed milk in a bowl, suitable for freezing. Measure double cream.1/2 can condensed milk
- Whip cold double cream until stiff peaks for approx 3 minutes.1⅕ cups double cream (whipping cream)
- In a bowl combine condensed milk, salt, chili and cayenne.1 dash salt, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cayenne powder
- Then add beet juice and combine. Mix in red gel coloring.4 tsp beetroot juice, 5 drops red gel food coloring
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Add cayenne pepper to your taste. Gently combine. It should be spicy, but not overwhelming, because the flavor will develop more.
- You can add more red gel color, if you want. Gently combine with the spatula until you are happy with the hue.
- Let the chili ice cream set overnight in the freezer. Before scooping the ice cream, let it soften a little in the fridge.
Make chocolate sponge cakes
- Preheat the oven to 355 F / 180 C.
- Put the wet ingredients in a small bowl- eggs, milk and oil. Add sugar and mix.1 egg, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- In a big bowl combine all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, chili and instant coffee. Sieve dry ingredients into wet in few batches.1 tsp chili powder, 1,5 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla flavored instant coffee powder
- Mix until incorporated into thick batter.
- Line the oven tray with parchment paper and fill 3 molds about 3 inch in diameter. Add batter to the molds. Bake 20 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.*
Decorating the plate
- Put a tall jar of water in the freezer for 15 minutes. You need a very cold water.
- Melt the chocolate on the Bain-Marie (the bowl with chocolate, placed over the heat-proof bowl with boiling water). Then fill the pastry bag or decorating pen with melted chocolate.150 g dark chocolate
- Remove the jar of water form the freezer and push the chocolate through pastry bag or pen, moving in different directions.4 cups water
- Using the fork, remove the chocolate from the water and place in in one layer on a plate. Put the plate in the fridge.
- Remove the filling of Oreo cookies and crush them in the food processor. If you don't have a food processor, put them in the bag and crush with the rolling pin.2 mini packs Oreo cookies
- Start decoration the plate. Cut the cakes in half lengthwise and crumb one of them. Sprinkle Oreo crumbs. Cut strawberries in half in quarters, add to the plate with gummy berries, chili flakes and mint. Place one of the cakes on the plate and add chocolate decoration on top.8 small strawberries, 8 gummy candies Blackberries, 1 tbsp Chili flakes, 1/2 cup mint leaves
- Scoop chili ice cream on top of the sponge cakes before serving!