Eggplant pizza is a healthy snack between the meals. You can enjoy it warm or cold, easy baked eggplant recipe to try this summer!
This is a gluten-free, low-carb keto pizza recipe! Or if you don’t want to make a homemade pizza dough, this healthy eggplant recipe is perfect. It’s like a no crust pizza recipe, packed with delicious topping.
Eggplant mini pizza is a great party appetizer idea, isn’t it?
I’ve made few variations of eggplant pizza, using different cheese each time and experimenting with veggies. But this eggplant homemade pizza is the most delicious we had! So I want to share with you this keto eggplant pizza recipe.
And yes, you thought eggplant is a vegetable, but it’s actually a fruit… some even consider it a berry!
What is eggplant pizza
Eggplant pizza is not a regular pizza with eggplant on top. Eggplant makes a base for the pizza and the topping is at your choice. Topping usually include tomatoes, cheese and ham or sausage.
If you’re missing the crust, you can put it on the slice of crispy bread.
How to make eggplant pizza
To make this recipe, we need to prepare eggplant pizza rounds, then make the topping.
Eggplant pizza crust
Start with the eggplants. Cut about 2 medium eggplants in 1 inch (2.54 cm) or 2,5 cm rounds. Place the on the baking tray, layered with parchment paper.
Brush eggplants from both sides with olive oil. Don’t add too much oil, because eggplant absorbs it too well.
Add freshly ground salt and pepper on top. Then bake eggplant rounds for 20 minutes in the preheated oven to 356 F / 180 C.
Eggplant pizza topping
The best eggplant pizza topping has:
- tomato paste,
- some vegetables like cherry tomatoes,
- mozzarella cheese (or other cheese like cheddar)
- I love to make a finishing touch with capers, but it is optional.
Basically, the pizza topping is up to you, but this variation was the best we’ve tried! If you want to make it vegetarian, omit the ham.
I recommend using small cherry tomatoes, because they add sweetness and don’t add too much liquid in compared to regular ones.
You can experiment with different cheeses, but good mozzarella will melt perfectly, and won’t add unnecessary saltiness to the pizza.
To assemble the pizza, remove the eggplant slices from the oven. Smear tops with tomato paste, add thin slices of ham, fresh basil, cherry tomato halves. Finally sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
How to cook eggplant pizza
So we already baked eggplant pizza crusts, as I mentioned previously. Now it’s time to warm the topping and melt the cheese!
Bake the pizza snacks for 5 minutes until mozzarella melts, then add few capers on each eggplant. If you don’t have capers, you can add thinly sliced olives.
That’s it! Let it cool few minutes and enjoy a healthier snack.
By the way, you can slice vegetables differently and make eggplant pizza boats. Eggplant pizza slices are easy to grab and enjoy.
How to choose eggplant for pizza
Make sure you choose medium or small eggplants for this recipe. The rounds shouldn’t be too large, but they must have plenty of space to arrange the topping.
When you’re choosing eggplants, look for smooth and shiny skin. Keep in mind that smaller eggplants are sweeter and have fewer seeds.
Avoid eggplants with wrinkle, blemishes or scratches. Store eggplants in the fridge. Keep in mind that it is easy to bruise them, so store and handle them with care.
If you have pretty large eggplants, you sprinkle slices with salt, then leave them for an hour. Wash off the salt and tap with paper towel. Then follow the recipe, but use less salt.
How to store keto eggplant pizza
Keep eggplant pizza in the fridge up to 3 days. Store it in the box with cover for a healthy snack between the meals.
We prefer it warm, but it can be enjoyed as a cold snack as well.
Hope you will enjoy this simple recipe for eggplant pizza! If you wonder, how to cook Japanese eggplant, check our recipe with avocado pesto.
Have you tried this healthy eggplant recipe? Let us know in the comments bellow, or add your photo on Pinterest or tag us in Instagram @cookingjourneyblog
Simple Eggplant Pizza
- baking tray with parchment paper
- knife and cutting board
- 1 eggplant medium size
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup ham thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp capers (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 355 F / 180 C.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.1 eggplant
- Place eggplant slices on the baking tray, layered with parchment paper.
- Brush eggplants with olive oil from both sides.1 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes.*1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add tomato paste to each slice of eggplant.1 tbsp tomato paste
- Place slices of ham.1/2 cup ham
- Add teared basil leaves.1/4 cup fresh basil
- Add 2 halves of cherry tomatoes to each slice. Or 1 half to the small eggplant slice.1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bake for 5 minutes until cheese melts.1/2 cup mozzarella
- Add few capers on the eggplant pizza and enjoy!1 tbsp capers
- *If the baked eggplant is too wet, pat them with paper towel.
- Store up to 3 days in the fridge, enjoy cold or reheat in the microwave for a minute.
- You can replace capers with slices of green olives.