Updated on January 20, 2019
Cauliflower breadsticks is a great cheesy snack with garlic and spices. What’s great this breadstick recipe is suitable for gluten-free, low-carb and vegetarian diets. Cauliflower breadsticks are not only healthy, but also very tasty, cheesy snacks to serve.
Do you often grab a bread with a cheese on top? Well, these cauliflower cheese sticks are more healthy and delicious!
You will love this quick and easy cheesy cauliflower breadsticks recipe! One of the best lowcarb recipes to try, seriously. It has only 7.8 g carbs in one serving, but so deliciously good for snacking or adding to your lunch.
Why cauliflower cheese bread
You can make one cauliflower cheese bread with this recipe or two small pizza crusts, but it is easier to cut it into breadsticks and enjoy with your family or friends with your favorite tomato sauce or our Pumpkin dip.
This is a healthier and maybe even tastier way to substitute regular chips or other unhealthy stuff that is in store shelves, screaming at you to grab for a snack.
Just perfect cheesy cauliflower for the healthy family game day!
Moreover, you can serve cheesy cauliflower breadsticks warm or cold, so it will be easier to grab one.
Store cauliflower breadsticks in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. But actually, I think you will eat them in 1 day! So better grab more cauliflower and cheese and prepare another batch of cauliflower breadsticks. You definitely need to include these snacks in your everyday meal plan!
No to flour and Yes to cauliflower and cheese
Egg white and mozzarella cheeses is crucial elements for “gluing” cauliflower breadsticks, and I don’t use flour in this recipe. However, you can cut the amount of cheese on topping, if you wish so. But cheesy breadsticks are absolutely scrumptious.
After enjoying a cauliflower pizza crust (you can find the video recipe on our youtube channel), I decided to find something to substitute the flour in the recipe to make it healthier and gluten-free. So to make breadsticks I used split peas. Using coffee grinder I made flour from peas. 4 tbsp was enough for this lowcarb cauliflower recipe. You can find nutritional info under the recipe card.
Spices to use for cauliflower breadsticks
I used dry spices, such as garlic, rosemary, thyme, cayenne and of course, salt and pepper to taste. You can also add curry spice or turmeric, garlic salt to taste or substitute cayenne to chili or sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top of the melted cheese. If you are not using rosemary and thyme you can add dried parsley or dills, too.
By the way, I noticed that granulated garlic powder adds more garlic flavor to the dish than the regular chopped garlic or garlic powder. But you can try this recipe with addition of 2-3 freshly minced garlic cloves, if you don’t have granulated spice.
Shredding and cooking cauliflower
As I already mentioned in our Cauliflower rice blog post, there are several ways of shredding and cooking cauliflower. You can use old-school grater or modern food processor to prepare riced cauliflower. You can store riced cauliflower in fridge or freezer, so it is easier to prep these cauliflower breadsticks or cauliflower rice.
You will need one head of cauliflower for this recipe, or 4 cups of riced cauliflower.
To form the dough for the cauliflower crust or base, you need to cook the cauliflower. Best way is steaming, but you can also boil it. After that the major part of the prepping is squeezing the liquid from cooked cauliflower. You need to drain cauliflower, so that there is almost no water, and then you can add spices and cheese. This will help to form the dough and the cauliflower bread will not fall apart even without cheesy topping.
Distribute the cauliflower and cheese mixture on a baking sheet pan, layered with parchment paper. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, then top with extra cheese and bake few minutes more until it melts.
Then let them cool a little and cut into bread sticks with pizza wheel or knife. Enjoy hot or cold, served with your favorite sauce or dip.
To sum up, low carb cauliflower breadsticks is one of the best cauliflower dishes to try! We loved how soft and crunchy this was, with creamy cheese, oh, so good! Perfectly spicy to give some heat. If you love cheesy bread, but want a healthier version, try our cauliflower breadsticks recipe.
Let’s stay in touch, as we will have more tasty vegetarian cauliflower recipes coming that home cooks will definitely enjoy!
Cauliflower breadsticks – Cauliflower cheese bread
- food processor
- A pan
- a baking tray lined with a parchment paper
- 1 cauliflower or 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 4 tbsp split pea meal or chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 ball mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup hard cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and put them in food processor to chop until remind rice. You need about 4 cups of riced cauliflower for this recipe.1 cauliflower
- Put riced cauliflower in a pan, cover with few cups of water, and let it simmer for about 4 minutes until it’s soft and tender, stirring. Let it cool a little.
- Prepare a clean cheesecloth and a bowl. Place cooked cauliflower rice and squeeze as much liquid as you can from it.
- Add pea meal, spices and shredded mozzarella. Mix together until everything is combined and smooth. Add 2 eggs to the mixture and stir until combined.1 cup mozzarella, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp thyme, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp rosemary, 4 tbsp split pea meal, 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Prepare a baking tray lined with a parchment paper and put cauliflower mixture in thin layer.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes 425 F / 220 C.
- Add more cheese on top, sprinkle spices and bake about 5-6 minutes until cheese melted.1/2 ball mozzarella, 1/2 cup hard cheese, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Remove from the oven, let the cauliflower bread cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into breadsticks.
- Serve warm or cold with tomato or donair sauce!