Updated on March 17, 2018
Spinach mozzarella sticks appetizers are perfect for party or watching sports game or movie. Homemade cheese sticks are easy to make, but they are crunchy, tasty, loaded with spinach and cheese.
These mozzarella snacks are soft inside and crunchy outside. It’s like you eat crunchy salad with spinach and cheese with your hands!
How to cook spinach with mozzarella cheese
This is such a delicious mixture, you can eat spinach with mozzarella on it’s own. However, if you want crunchy snack to serve, you need few more thing to do. I used fresh spinach for this recipe, but you can use frozen as well. First, defrost spinach, or if using fresh one like me, cook it in a pan with a sprinkle of water, then combine with shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. I decided to use light cream cheese. It’s so good to think that you will eat something light, with less calories, right? But you can use regular cream cheese, too, it doesn’t affect the cooking process.
You can use any spices you like to eat with cheese and spinach, I added a little bit of ground cayenne pepper, ground pepper mix and salt. However, don’t add too much salt, as the cheese is already salty.
How to make spinach mozzarella sticks
To make the mozzarella sticks, you need to transfer the your cheesy spinach mixture to the tray, which is layered with parchment paper. By the way, don’t make the layer too thin, as it will harder to dip spinach mozzarella sticks in breading and they may fall apart and cook too fast. Leave the spinach mozzarella mixture in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until set and frozen, then cut into the sticks.
All you need to do now, dip every spinach mozzarella stick into flour, beaten eggs, breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown from each side. Keep the other sticks in freezer, while you are frying, as they melt pretty fast. You may change the oil few times, see the note in the recipe.
Grab this mozzarella sticks recipe for next party snack!
Spinach mozzarella sticks – Homemade cheese sticks
- A pan
- the tray, layered with parchment paper
- 3 bowls
- spoon or spatulas
- paper towel
- 5 cups spinach
- 2 mozzarella balls about 9 oz, shredded
- 1 cup light cream cheese
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- Chop spinach, then add it to the pan with 1-2 tbsp water and cook, stirring for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.5 cups spinach
- Add shredded mozzarella, cream cheese and spices. Stir until combined.2 mozzarella balls, 1 cup light cream cheese, 1 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
- Place the mixture on the tray, layered with parchment paper, smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
- Freeze for about 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place flour and breadcrumbs in two separate bowls. Whisk eggs in a third bowl.4 cups breadcrumbs, 1 cup flour, 5 eggs
- Cut spinach mozzarella mixture in sticks. Keep them in a freezer, while you are cooking.
- Heat the oil in a pan or pot.1 cup vegetable oil
- Coat every spinach mozzarella stick first in flour, then in eggs, then in breadcrumbs. After that again – dip the same mozzarella stick in eggs and in breadcrumbs.
- Fry spinach mozzarella sticks until one side browned, then flip and wait until the other side is browned. It took approx. 1-2 minutes from each side.
- Drain sticks on paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dip!