Updated on May 4, 2018
This blackberry ricotta pizza is great snack – fresh, cheesy, but not too sweet. If you enjoy ricotta pizza, this twist with blackberries will surprise your senses! Here I also share pizza dough recipe that you can use every time you want a homemade pizza.
I love blackberries! One of my favorite berries that I enjoy raw, when they are in season. Sweet and juicy, beautiful blackberries! Moreover, these little ones have a lot of vitamin C and K, potassium and manganese.
So I wondered which blackberry recipes to make, where I don’t need to cook for too long…
I decided to make a mini pizza, that is easier to serve and share with your friends. However, if you want to make one big party pizza, you can use this recipe, too!
This is great pizza dough recipe! It makes about 8 mini pizza or two big pizzas. It is light, fluffy, and rises fast. Fresh pizzas are so addictive!
By the way, you can wrap the dough with clingfilm and leave for couple days in the fridge until needed.
Blackberries and cheese
Blackberries are perfect berries to pair with cheese. These berries look beautiful and taste not sweet, not sour, so they are used not only desserts, but also in main dishes and snacks. Why not to make a blackberry ricotta pizza?
This vegetarian pizza filling is made with soft ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella and freshly smashed blackberries. A little bit of parmigiano will suit this pizza well, if you have it in your fridge.
Serving and taste of blackberry ricotta pizza
This blackberry ricotta pizza is between sour and sweet (it’s like oolong tea – not black, not green, if you know, what I mean). Definitely for cheese lovers and those who love blackberries as well! Great vegetarian pizza to try!
Blackberry ricotta pizzas are perfect snacks for your party or family time. This is a mini pizza, so no need to cut it, just serve 1 per person and eat with your hands!
To my mind, ricotta pizza is best served warm. Reheat it in a microwave oven for 1-2 minutes or 5-8 minutes in a regular oven.
Spices and salt
Blackberries pair well with basil. You can tear fresh leaves of basil or sprinkle dry spice, as I did. If you want more tart, spicy taste, replace basil with arugula. I didn’t put any salt in the filling, but you can add a pinch to your taste, if you wish. Black pepper and black berries – good combination as well.
However don’t overdo it with pepper, as main elements here are cheese and blackberries.
By the way, a little bit of Parmigiano on top will suit this pizza well, if you have it in your fridge!
Blackberry ricotta pizza - Vegetarian pizza
- bowls for mixing
- baking tray, lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- 500 g mozzarella cheese
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- 400 g blackberries + extra for topping
- 8 tsp ground basil fresh or dried
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 500 g fine white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 g dry yeast
- 1/2 tbs sugar
- 325 mL water lukewarm (110 F / 44 C)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- To make the dough, sieve flour with salt in one bowl. Make a well in the center.500 g fine white flour, 1/2 tsp salt
- In separate bowl combine water with yeast, sugar and oil. Mix, leave aside for 5 minutes.7 g dry yeast, 1/2 tbs sugar, 325 mL water, 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pour liquid into the well of the flour. Gently combine everything together, then with flour-dusted hands knead the smooth dough. Add more flour or water if needed.
- Form the ball from the pizza dough and place in a separate bowl, dusted with flour. Put the clean towel on top and leave for 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat oven to 450 F / 230 C.
- Divide pizza dough to 8 small balls for every pizza.
- Roll each ball to make round 20 cm / 8 inch pizza, about 0,6- 1cm / 0,2-0,4 inch thick. Place pizzas to baking tray, lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Using fork smash blackberries and distribute (with juice!) to all pizzas.400 g blackberries
- Distribute ricotta to all pizzas. Then tear mozzarella on top.500 g ricotta cheese, 500 g mozzarella cheese
- Decorate with more blackberries on top. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of basil and black pepper per pizza.8 tsp ground basil, 2 tsp black pepper
- Bake about 20 minutes. Serve warm.