Updated on January 17, 2019
Zucchini lasagna with chicken is a perfect choice for your family dinner!
It is quick and easy zucchini lasagna recipe with a secret ingredient.
Moreover, it is a more healthy meal option, because zucchini replaces regular lasagna pasta leaves. Instead of Bechamel, here is quick and light, flour-less yogurt sauce. So this is great gluten-free, low-carb recipe.
Zucchini for everyday?
By the way, zucchini is recommended for everyday consumption, as it has many health benefits. It is rich in nutritional value, especially when it’s in season! It helps to loose weight and protects from infections and diseases, such as cancer or cardiovascular diseases. And it is preferably stored in refrigerator.
Zucchini consists 95% of water, and I didn’t mind when it released all the juice, covering lasagna and making it super moist. But if you want, you can set aside zucchini slices with salt, remove the excess liquid after about 10 min, and use them for lasagna.
Quick and easy zucchini lasagna
Actually we wanted to have a lasagna for dinner, but I didn’t want to spend much time at the stove. So this quick and easy recipe was a great idea and it was juicy and delicious too!
Also it doesn’t need many ingredients for this. I used store-bought ground chicken, but you can mince it at home too. Mandolin also helps to prepare zucchini much faster, if you have one.
And moreover, there is a secret ingredient! Don’t scroll to the recipe, I will tell you. It is plum sauce! Yes, natural plum sauce instead of regular tomato sauce is a perfect match to the ground chicken. You can find plum sauce recipe on our blog too.
So definitely make this for your family, when you need comfort food. To my mind, it is best served with rice, such as Basmati. Or you can eat it as a snack instead of burger, why not?
Zucchini lasagna with chicken
- A pan
- chopping board and knife
- 800 g ground chicken
- 100 g cheese (light)
- 400 g zucchini 1 zucchini
- 80 g carrot 1 carrot
- 1 egg medium
- 125 g shallot 1 shallot
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp plum sauce or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Finely dice shallot, grate carrot.125 g shallot, 80 g carrot
- Fry shallot and carrot on the pan for few minutes with olive oil, add ground chicken and water (if needed). Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring.800 g ground chicken, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup water
- Add plum sauce, cook 3 minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.3 tbsp plum sauce, salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 390 F.
- Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise. Place zucchini slices on the bottom of the baking tray, slightly cover one side with another.400 g zucchini
- Put about half of the cooked chicken on zucchini slices.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg, yogurt, a little bit of salt and pepper.1 egg, 4 tbsp Greek yogurt, salt, pepper
- Grease chicken layer with half of egg and yogurt mix.
- Repeat all 3 layers.
- Grate cheese on top and bake for about 30 minutes.100 g cheese