Updated on March 17th, 2019
This avocado burger is ultimate healthy snack. Perfect for every day lunch, discard all the bread buns, because you will love this snack, packed with veggies.
So what’s in this easy avocado burger? Vegetable pattie with vegetables, leaves and avocado buns. Simple, but delicious. And 100% vegan, too. I can say that this is better for lunch than meat burgers! And you can make it ahead of time.
Why you need to make avocado burgers?
Because they are:
- Healthy. Packed with vegetables and vitamins.
- Vegan. Great meatless option.
- Delicious. Spiced veggie pattie and BBQ sauce make it full of flavor.
- Filling. Healthy fats and calories will keep you going.
This is such an easy recipe, you will need to make a pattie, which is so simple and tastes good on its own! You can really eat this vegan food for breakfast or lunch. Don’t be afraid of high amount of calories – mostly from avocado fats. It is almost equal to eating a piece of cake, but this avocado burger will give you much more fuel and energy.
This is an easy way to add avocado to your everyday menu, making your lunch or snack more healthy and fun. To my mind, this looks much more beautiful and delicious then basic avocado spread on toast. Great vegan burger recipe to make you eat avocado more often!
This avocado burger recipe is good for vegan and low carb diets. Avocado is 77% fat, 4% protein and 19% carbs, most of which are fiber. Keep including avocado recipes in your every day menu plan like this veggies burgers!
By the way, if you still think it is a small serving (if you plan to include in in your dinner recipes), just cook brown rice and serve it on the side.
Health benefits of avocado
Avocado contains healthy fats, which will make you feel full and prevent from grabbing unhealthy snack. A serving of fresh avocado contains almost 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Keep in mind that avocado has many calories, which are healthy and will keep you satisfied. So eating just one whole avocado (without skin and pit, of course) will give you about 260-410 calories, depending on its size.
However, this burger is an awesome lunch that will give you vitamins K, B5, B6, C and E. Overall it is good for skin care, heart and eye sight, relieving stress, treats insomnia, diabetes and regulates blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Avocado also has anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties. Moreover, avocado decreases the risk of obesity, osteoporosis, depression and even cancer.
By the way, this avocado burger is also perfect for breakfast, because vitamin B6 (26% RDA) helps to fight morning sickness. Moreover, it is great to start the day with Healthy Green Smoothie. Avocado is good for detox and improving digestion.
10 Fun Facts about Avocado
Did you know?
- Avocado is also called alligator pear and butter fruit
- Botanically avocado is a large berry
- It possibly originated in Mexico, in the Tehuacan Valley (that’s why it is widely used in Mexican recipes, guacamole comes in mind first)
- The oldest avocado pit found, was about 9,500 years ago.re more than 50 varieties of avocado.
- There are over 1,000 varieties of avocado.
- The first mentioning term Avocado in English was an Irish physician, naturalist and collector, 1st Baronet, Sir Hans Sloane -in 17th century.
- However, the first to write about avocado in his book was Spanish geographer Martin Fernandez de Encisco – a century earlier than Sir Hans.
- The word avocado comes from Spanish aguacate, which comes from Aztec ahuacatl.
- There is a stone-less avocado, marketed as “cocktail avocado”. Yes, it doesn’t contain pit and it can be eating with skin!
- Avocado plant is harmful to animals
By the way, it is easy to grow avocado from a pit at home. We have an avocado plant (that stands so that our dog can’t reach it) for more than 3 years. It doesn’t produce any fruits, but makes a lovely tree.
If you’re interested, how to grow avocado from a pit, let me know in comments below, I will update the post with this information. However, don’t expect any fruits on the tree. It might take up to 10 years to grow into fruiting stage and if you get one, it won’t taste the same as commercially available.
By the way, you can make a dessert with avocado, too. Check this Healthy Vegan Avocado Cake.
So this avocado burger will keep couple days in your fridge. Keep in mind that fresh avocados may turn slightly brown if you serve them couple hours later. To prevent this you can drizzle it with lemon juice. You can also prepare all ingredients ahead of time (chopped vegetables will last about 3 days in the fridge and cooked vegan pattie – about 5 days). Then just prepare avocado right before serving.
Keep vegan burgers in a closed lunch box in the fridge. Preferably far way from hungry people…
How to make vegan burger recipe
I will say again that it is so easy to make a healthy burger! First of all, lets make delicious vegan burger pattie that is so good on its own.
Use a grater or food processor. It’s not just bean burger, lets add other vegetables, too. Chop or grate small potato (or 1/4 sweet potato) and carrot, 1/4 zucchini. You can add a little bit of chopped onions for more flavor. Add smashed beans to the mixture or in the food processor, if you’re using one. I had canned kidney beans, but you can add black beans or others – your favorite.
These all ingredients should be finely chopped. Combine with ground spices like turmeric, cayenne, marjoram, salt and pepper. Squeeze excess liquid, if needed, add flax egg and 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour. Mix and with wet hands form two balls.
Heat some olive oil in a pan, press veggie patties between your hands and cook couple minutes on each side until golden brown. Let the burger pattie cool before adding to avocado burger.
Also slice and cook mushrooms. Let pan fried mushrooms cool before adding to veggies burgers.
To prepare avocado, cut lengthwise in half. Remove the pit and peel off the skin. Sprinkle with some lemon juice, if you plan to serve them later. Otherwise burger buns may turn a little brown. Slightly cut the bottom of one half of avocado so it sits flat.
Arrange between avocado buns vegetables – some mushrooms, sliced tomato, salad leaf, vegan pattie. Drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce, add thinly sliced cucumbers, orange bell pepper, salad leaves, mushrooms. Cover with another half of avocado. Healthy BBQ burgers are almost ready!
Final touches – sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. These burgers look so inviting, aren’t they? Looks delicious and this vegan veggie burger actually is tasty and filling!
Hope you’ll try this avocado burger recipe. Enjoy!
Avocado Burger – Vegan Burger Recipe
- 4 tbsp canned beans
- 1/4 zucchini
- 1 small carrot peeled
- 1 small potato peeled
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric ground
- 1/8 tsp cayenne ground
- 1/2 tsp marjoram ground
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour or gluten-free sub
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 2,5 tbsp water
- 2 avocado
- 1 big tomato sliced
- 4 mushrooms small
- 4 iceberg salad leaves
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 cucumber small
- 1 bell pepper orange
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
Make Flax egg and pattie
- To make flax egg, mix flax meal with water and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Put all ingredients for veggie pattie in food processor (or grate all vegetables) and pulse until grated.
- Mix with , spices and flax egg.
Cook mushrooms and veg pattie
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Wet your hands and divide the mix into 2 balls. Press them with your hand to make a pattie and cook in a pan on medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Meanwhile slice the mushrooms.
- Then remove the patties from a pan and let them cool. Cook the sliced mushrooms in the same pan for about 10 minutes, stirring until golden brown. Divide into 4 parts and let them cool.
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pit and skin.
Assemble avocado burger.
- Place one half of avocado with the hole up. Slightly cut the bottom of avocado so it can stand straight. Put 1/4 mushrooms in the hole of avocado, where the pit was.
- Put 2 slices of tomato, then a salad leaf on top (tier the leaf, if it’s too big).
- Put vegan pattie on the leaf and drizzle it with BBQ sauce
- Thinly slice cucumber (lengthwise) and put 1/2 on the pattie.
- Cut an orange bell pepper and put 1/2 on the cucumber slices.
- Then put 1 iceberg salad leaf on top.
- Add another part of mushrooms in avocado hole and cover the burger. Slightly press the burger.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Repeat the steps, assembling second burger.