Updated on May 27, 2020
Blackberry pie bars are easy desserts that you can make at home in no time! These are perfect breakfast bars to share with your family with coffee or tea. A must-try blackberry dessert recipe that everyone will love!
With simple pastry dough and just few more ingredients you can turn your berries into lovely dessert. You will end with a no fuss pie or sweet snack for the party.
Easy, crunchy, delicious blackberry desserts!
Blackberry crumb bars is all you need, a simple recipe to make a sweet treat with juicy fresh berries. Crispy crust and delicious fruit filling. Need to say more? Save this blackberry bars recipe or Pin for later!
Why choose blackberrie dessert
To be honest, I really love blackberries. I can eat it right from the bowl, right from the garden, when they are in season. Such a pity it is such a short season with peak from June to July, of course you can already find them in May and in August till September.
One of the benefits of blackberries is that they are high in vitamin C. I won’t go into blackberry benefits, as you can easily find this information online. But have you seen that blackberry is very popular in medicine and cosmetics? It is a treat of nature that is good for the health for sure!
But hey, we are here for the dessert, right? Blackberry pie bars are not an overly sugary treat, but if you have a sweet tooth, please add more sugar. And don’t forget you can sprinkle powdered sugar on top!
What if you have too much berries (is it possible? Please send them my way).
And imagine you are sick of blackberry pie, or you want something faster.
Have a blackberry jam? You can use it to make blackberry pie bars! Easy, delicious and fun! All family members will love this fruit dessert!
Easy blackberry recipe that you should try and you won’t regret it. And how can you regret a dessert, when it is juicy, fruity and crunchy all-in one?!
How to make blackberry pie bars
Just make a simple pastry dough, top it with blackberry jam and sprinkle crumbs on top. Bake them and eat them! My favorite part is adding some chocolate, lemon zest and fresh berries on top of blackberry dessert bars. So good!
Simple pastry dough
To make this simple dough, you will need flour, cubed butter and cold water. Combine all ingredients in food processor or mix with a fork.
Press it to the bottom of greased rectangular baking pan. Yes, no rolling out needed as for the pie crusts!
Additionally, if you don’t have a food processor, you can use the fork, but it will take more time.
To make fast blackberry jam, just cook the berries with sugar and corn meal as a thickener. Stir on a low heat for 5 minutes, until they start releasing the juices.
Crush the berries with the back of the spoon, then remove from heat, squeeze in lemon juice and mix. You can also add vanilla extract in the end, if you like.
Put the blackberry jam on top of the crust.
If you’re planning to use frozen berries, thaw them and discard the liquid before cooking the berries. So be sure to freeze summer berries to enjoy blackberry pie bars any time of the year!
To make crumb topping, just mix flour butter, water, sugar and almond slices in a food processor. You can use other nuts that you have instead of almonds.
When it comes together, just form the crumbs with your fingers and sprinkle on top of the blackberry jam. This crumb topping is crunchy, buttery, just perfect topping for a fruit dessert.
Now blackberry crumb bars are ready to be baked!
Bake and serve breakfast bars
Then you just need to bake the crust with blackberry jam and crumbs for 30-40 min. Blackberry pie bars are ready, when they are slightly golden, let them cool for 10 minutes and cut with a knife.
I highly recommend adding chocolate pieces and lemon zest on top. This is to ultimate deliciousness!
You can serve them warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream. We really enjoyed these blackberry breakfast bars with Greek yogurt!
These blackberry bars are much better that a morning toast with jam on top. Perfect for sharing around the table or packing a sweet treat in a lunch box!
How to store blackberry pie bars
They last up to 5 days in the fridge, but they will be gone much faster!
Additionally, you can try to make these easy desserts with raspberries, blueberries or berry mix. If you like to start your day with breakfast bars, you should try these Lemon squares next!
Crunchy Blackberry Pie Bars
- Rectangular baking tray, 7 x 10 inch / 18 x25 cm
- small pot
- rubber spatula or wooden spoon for mixing
- food processor
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn meal
- ½ lemon
- 1 ⅔ cups flour
- ½ stick butter cold and cubed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ stick butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp almond slices
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chopped
Make pastry dough
- Put flour, butter and cold water in a bowl.1 ⅔ cups flour, ½ stick butter, 2 tbsp water
- Mix all the ingredients with a fork.
- Press it to the bottom of greased rectangular baking pan, using your palm or back of the spoon/glass.
- Place blackberries with sugar and corn meal in a pan.2 cups blackberries, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp corn meal
- Stir on a low heat for 5 minutes, until they start releasing the juices. Crush the berries with the back of the spoon.
- Remove the pan from heat, squeeze in lemon juice and mix.½ lemon
- Put the blackberry jam on top of the crust.
Make crumb topping
- To make crumb topping, just mix flour, butter, water, sugar and almond slices in a food processor.1 cup flour, ¼ stick butter, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp almond slices, 1 tbsp water
- Pulse until it comes together.
- Form the crumbs with your fingers.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top of the blackberry jam.
- Then you just need to bake the crust with blackberry jam and crumbs for 30-40 min. The bars are ready, when they are slightly golden. Let them cool for 10 minutes, add chocolate and lemon zest, cut with a knife.1 tbsp dark chocolate, 1/2 lemon zest
You can use other sliced nuts instead of almonds.