Keto truffles are delicious and healthy candies for Easter, Christmas or Valentine’s Day. They have flavorful citrus filling that is so addictive, without compromising your health or weight. Easy recipe of the healthy treats!
These keto candies are perfect edible gifts for your teacher, parents or kids. Everyone will love these healthy Easter treats! It is a perfect combination of tangy flavor with a sweetness. All citrus candies or truffles are keto or low carb, gluten-free and sugar-free.
Keto truffles are made with 3 different fillings – lemon, orange and grapefruit. While grapefruit filling is cute for Valentine’s Day, keto lemon truffles remind me of Easter, and orange balls are definitely great for Christmas!
You can choose one of the fillings, or all three, it’s up to you. My favorite are orange chocolate balls, but how can you choose one without tasting them all?
This recipe makes 14 keto truffles or fruity Easter desserts. You will have some extra citrus cream that you can eat with leftover chocolate eggs!
Healthy homemade Easter treats are easy and no baking needed. They are so rich and delicious, perfect keto diet alternative!
What sweetener is used in keto truffles
The sweetness of the citrus curd is reached with a low carb and keto sugar alternative – erythritol. Erythritol is safe and natural sweetener, usually sold powdered or granulated.
Erythritol is produced industrially with enzymatic hydrolysis of the starch from corn to generate glucose. It occurs naturally in fruits like pears and plums. Erythritol is a 1:1 substitute to sugar with 0 calories, tooth-friendly!
I would recommend choosing powdered erythritol. If you can’t find it in store, use granulated erythritol. Keep in mind that granulated erythritol melts slower than sugar and it can result in chewy crystals in your filling.
I think it is a good choice for healthy Easter treats! I also used stevia drops to sweeten the chocolate truffles.
How to make healthy Easter treats
To make these keto friendly candy, you need to prepare the filling – citrus curd filling, the chocolate truffles and the coating.
First, cook freshly squeezed citrus filling with egg, yolks, butter and sweetener on the Bain Marie or Double Boiler to reach thick and smooth consistency. Let the filling cool.
Prepare the outer layer, mixing mashed banana, coconut oil, cocoa, almond meal and shredded coconut. By the way, you can also make chocolate truffles without the citrus filling!
Roll the chocolate balls in your hands, make a well, add one of the citrus filling and roll again.
Finally dip chocolate balls into one of the coating (crushed almonds, shredded coconut or granulated erythritol).
All step-by-step pictures on how to make these healthy Easter treats are available in the recipe card. It is such an easy recipe and you will love the result!
How to store citrus truffles
If you leave keto truffles on countertop for more than 2 hours, they need to be consumed within the same day.
I haven’t tried to freeze them, but it is totally possible. Just use the appropriate container and make sure they don’t freeze into one large ball!
Store candies for about 2 weeks in the fridge. Remove from the fridge 30-60 minutes before serving. You can transport them to your friend, if you eat them the same day!
You will have some leftover curd, you can store it in the jar, in the fridge for about 1-2 weeks.
The filling is enough for another batch of chocolate candies! Or you can eat it as it is, it is so addictive… Lemon cream filling is great to make these Lemon squares.
By the way, use leftover curd to make Easter trifles with leftover chocolate eggs or biscuits! I’m sure it won’t go to waste… too good!
It is not possible to use less ingredients for the cream filling, as it can easily burn. But you can cook only one citrus flavor instead of making all three.
You can wrap these chocolate citrus candies to make a healthy sweet Christmas or Birthday gift! We love homemade gifts, do you? This is such a lovely gift for your friend or family member. Don’t tell him or her what’s inside, let the person guess the filling.
Oh, and kids will love these healthy Easter treats for sure! You can add them to their lunch box. It’s a great snack between chores or homework!
If you make keto truffles, tag us on social media or comment to let us know! Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook to receive up-to date simple and healthy breakfast recipes like this!
I hope your family will try this healthy treats for Easter!
Keto Truffles - Healthy Easter Treats
- Bowls and pots
- Teaspoons and tablespoons
- A flat tray
- Food processor or coffee grinder if you're using raw almonds
- parchment paper
For the citrus filling:
- 5 tbsp butter cubed
- 3/4 cup erythritol granulated
- 1 whole egg medium
- 2 egg yolks medium
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice 1/2 orange
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice 1 1/2 small lemons
- ⅓ cup fresh grapefruit juice 1/2 medium grapefruit
- yellow gel food coloring
- red gel food coloring
- 1 cup almond meal or 150 g raw almonds (a little more than 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 banana small
- 1 tsp coconut oil melted
- 8 drops stevia
Decoration (all 3 or one of these options)
- 1/4 cup almond flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup erythritol granulated
- Wash all citrus fruits and prepare all ingredients for the base.
- Juice each fruit separately.⅓ cup fresh lemon juice, ⅓ cup fresh grapefruit juice, ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- Whip egg and egg yolks for 5 minutes until thick and creamy.1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks
- Gradually add erythritol, continue whipping.3/4 cup erythritol
- Add cubes of butter, one by one.5 tbsp butter
- Whip until incorporated. Don't worry if it is lumpy. The lumps will melt in the next step!
- Distribute the filling to 3 bowls.
- Add one of the citrus juices in each bowl. Mix with a hand whisk, and don't forget which bowl is orange, lemon and grapefruit!⅓ cup fresh orange juice, ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice, ⅓ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- Place every bowl on the pot with boiling water (Bain-Marie or double boiler).
- Set to the lowest heat and cook for an hour, whisking from time to time.
- Prepare ingredients for chocolate truffles-balls.
- Make almond meal. Use coffee grinder or food processor to process almond. You can use a store-bought almond meal and skip this step!1 cup almond meal
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl - cocoa powder, almond meal and shredded coconut.1 cup almond meal, 4 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Mash banana in a separate bowl.1 banana
- Add stevia and mix together with mashed banana.8 drops stevia
- Add mashed banana with stevia to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Add melted coconut oil and mix once again until all well-combined. Make sure the chocolate mixture is like a very wet, sticky sand.1 tsp coconut oil
- After 1 hour simmering on Bain-Marie or double-boiler, your filling should be thick and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Add few drops of yellow food coloring to lemon filling, mix.yellow gel food coloring
- Add yellow and red coloring to the orange filling, mix. Add more, if needed, until you have orange color.yellow gel food coloring, red gel food coloring
- Add a little bit of red coloring to the grapefruit cream, mix until it has rose-grapefruit color.red gel food coloring
- Set the bowls with citrus curd to cool aside.
- Prepare all the ingredients to assemble candies. Prepare a tray, layered with parchment paper.
- Use a scoop for portions. You can use a tablespoon instead. Scoop chocolate mixture in your palm.
- Roll a ball between your hands.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add about 1/2 tsp of filling. Roll the ball between your hands.
- Place the ball on the parchment paper. Place every ball in a row, so you know which filling is inside.
- Repeat with other citrus cream fillings until you have about 14 candies.
- Crush some almond flakes with pestle in a small bowl.1/4 cup almond flakes
- Add erythritol in another small bowl. Add grapefruit chocolate balls one by one in the bowl and dust with two teaspoons. It should be covered from all sides.1/4 cup erythritol
- Use coconut to coat orange candies or truffles.1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Almond flakes coat lemon candies or truffles.
- With a help of 2 spoons, transfer each ball back to the parchment paper or right to the serving plate.