Last Updated on April 1, 2018
Mexican tortilla soup is easy, spicy and colorful comfy food you need to make this season! This delicious and really hot Mexican chicken soup with crunchy tortilla and creamy avocado on top will warm you and fill you up.
This is the best chicken tortilla soup I’ve made! I highly recommend trying this easy recipe at your home. No need to visit any Mexican restaurant to order the soup! Just regulate your spiciness level, as it is really hot.
However it is pleasantly backed with crunchy bites of tortilla and rich and soft avocado. Total flavor celebration in your mouth!
What I like about this Mexican soup, it is so colorful and warming, perfect for enjoying on a chilly rainy day.
How to make Mexican tortilla soup
Easy chicken tortilla soup is made with chicken broth and regular canned vegetables like beans and corn, as well as tomatoes. I recommend using tomatoes and kidney beans with juice, but discard the liquid from the corn.
If you have already made chicken broth, it will be much easier and faster for you! I’ve made chicken broth, using chicken backs. Then I made the soup with the rest of vegetables and added spices.
Crispy tortilla chips
To my mind, tortilla chips are really one of the main elements of this chicken soup! Just cut the stripes from your favorite tortilla, then cook them in hot oil in a pan until crisp. Don’t forget to flip the chips, as they may burn fast! And watch that your family members doesn’t leave you any tortilla chips for the soup, as they are delicious on their own.
Mexican tortilla soup – Best chicken tortilla soup
For the broth:
- 3 chicken backs
- 1 L water 35 fl oz
- 5 whole black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sea salt
For the Mexican tortilla soup:
- 1 can kidney beans with liquid 400 g / 14 oz
- 1 can sweet corn 290 g / 10 oz
- 1-2 chili peppers
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 can tomatoes in juice 800 g / 28 oz
For 2 servings:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tortilla
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil for tortilla chips
- Place all the ingredients for the broth in a pot on a high heat. Let it boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop chili peppers and bell pepper.
- Remove bay leaves and pepper from the broth. Remove cooked chicken backs too and leave them for later.
- Add all canned vegetables with the liquid (except corn liquid), add chopped chili and bell pepper and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make tortilla chips. Heat oil on a pan. Cut tortilla wraps to the long stripes, about 1 inch/ 2,5cm width. Fry them for about a minute until golden crisp, then flip and cook 1 minute more.
- Serve the soup individually with avocado slices, parsley, lime and tortilla chips.