Chocolate cherry cookies with a touch of almond and vanilla are perfect for holidays. They are so easy and delicious! Double chocolate and maraschino cherries combination is magic!
These cookies are crunchy outside, soft and chewy inside. Delicious sweet cherry on top is so festive, perfect in combination with chocolate. Easy chocolate cookie recipe, if you want a chocolate cake, but don’t have time to make one.
Hope you will enjoy this easy recipe or chocolate cherry cookies! This recipe makes 25 cherry cookies. Include them in your edible Christmas gifts!
These maraschino cherry cookies are perfect to share at any holiday or just when you crave something sweet and chocolaty. So tempting to have more than one cookie.
How to make chocolate cherry cookies from scratch
You will need two bowls, hand mixer and a spatula. Measure and prepare al ingredients
In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, vanilla powder, baking powder and baking soda. You can substitute vanilla powder to vanilla extract and mix it in the end.
In another bowl beat soft butter with white and brown sugar until creamy. Add two eggs, one at a time, beat until just combined.
Gradually add dry ingredients in butter and egg mixture, mixing with a spatula. Add milk, so it will be easier to mix.
Finally add maraschino cherry syrup and melted chocolate. Maraschino cherry syrup is simply the leftover maraschino cherry liquid, mixed with powdered sugar. This syrup is so good, I recommend serving it with ice cream or cake! Store it in the fridge up to 10 days.
Mix the chocolate cookie dough until well incorporated, cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Chilled cookie dough solidifies fat, so they won’t spread a lot while baking. While chilling they become more flavorful and sweet, so don’t skip this step! If you really in hurry, chill at least 30 minutes.
To form the chocolate cookies, scoop a ball on the baking tray, layered with parchment paper. Leave a space between the dough balls, so they can spread as they bake. If you don’t have a scoop, you can use a spoon.
You can form the ball with your hands. This is a messy part! You can sprinkle some extra cocoa powder on your hands, so the less will stick to them. You can also scoop directly to the baking tray!
Use your thumb to press the middle of each chocolate cookie. Put maraschino cherry in the center of each cookies.
By the way, you can try this recipe without cherries and syrup as well. But cherries make them so much more beautiful and sweet!
Bake maraschino cherry cookies for 10-15 minutes in the oven, preheated to 356 F / 180 C. Baking soda with brown sugar helps these cookies to rise in the oven. They will spread a little, too. If you want a crispier cookie, you can make them thinner or bake extra few minutes. But keep in mind that the cherry on top will become more dry!
I know they look so delicious, but let them cool, while making a cup of tea, coffee or milk.
This recipe makes 25 little cookies that are perfect for sharing and enjoying for Christmas! I also sprinkled them with crushed almonds, which is totally optional. Almond cherry cookies will make your day better!
Double chocolate cookies
If you are chocolate lover, this recipe is for you! It has unsweetened cocoa powder and melted chocolate. If you crave even more chocolate, you can drizzle chocolate sauce on top. But believe me, cherry cookies are satisfying without the chocolate drizzle!
I used chopped dark chocolate with 72% of cocoa for the intense chocolate flavor. You can also use chocolate chips instead. This chocolate cookie recipe has enough dark gold and pretty intense flavor.
How to store chocolate cookies with cherries
Chocolate cherry cookies will keep up to 5-6 days in the fridge. Let the cookies Put them in the box, covered with the lid, but don’t press as it will smash the cherries. But keep in mind that the longer you store chocolate cookies, the less crunchy they will become.
Let the cherry cookies come to the room temperature before serving. They can keep at room temperature for one day, if you don’t want to store them in the fridge.
More chocolate and cookie recipes
If you need more cookies for inspiration, check these:
Besides these delicious chocolate cookies we have more chocolate recipes, such as:
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cupcakes
- Christmas Chocolate truffles
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Pudding
- Chili Ice Cream with Chocolate Sponge Cake.
If you love chocolate and cherry combination, you should make our Chocolate Cherry Layer Cake for your next celebration! Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook! And if you make these maraschino cherry cookies or one of our other recipes, tag us to let us know. We love to see what you are baking!
Tempting Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- 2 baking trays with parchment paper
- cookie scoop or spoon
- stand or hand mixer with whisk attachment
- bowls for mixing
- 1½ cup flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs medium
- 1 tbsp cherry syrup*
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup maraschino cherries
- 3-4 tbsp crushed almond flakes optional
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients - flour, white and brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla powder.1½ cup flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp vanilla powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- In another bowl whisk butter with hand mixer until pale. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs to butter and continue mixing until combined. Scrape the sides with a spatula.1/2 cup butter, 2 eggs
- Add few tablespoons of dry ingredients and mix on a low speed.
- Add about half of the dry mixture in a bowl and mix with a spatula.
- Add milk and mix with a spatula.1/2 cup milk
- Add the rest of dry ingredients and continue mixing until well incorporated.1 tbsp cherry syrup*
- Mix in maraschino cherry syrup, using the same spatula.
- Add melted chocolate and mix with the spatula until all is well incorporated.1/4 cup dark chocolate
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 356 F / 180 C.
- Scoop a ball of chocolate cookie dough on the baking tray, layered with parchment paper. You can form the ball with your hands. If you don't want to be messy, you can dust your hands with cocoa powder or scoop directly to the baking tray. Leave the space between cookies.
- Using your thumb, make a well in the center of each cookie.
- Put maraschino cherry in the well of each cookie. Bake for 10 minutes, then prepare another batch until all cookie dough is used.1 cup maraschino cherries
- Let the cookies cool on a wire rack, then sprinkle crushed almonds on top.3-4 tbsp crushed almond flakes
One of the best cookies that I have seen lately. My mouth starts to water just from looking at these images. The instructions sound super easy to follow, too!
Thank you so much, Elaine!
Two of my favourite flavours! Yummo!
Yes, cherries and chocolate are so good together!
Chocolate and cherry is such a great combination! I will be making these cookies soon!
Totally agree! I’m sure you will love these chocolate treats!
I love the combo of chocolate and cherry so these cookies are right up my street! 🙂
Loving that cute little cherry on top. Can’t beat chocolate and cherry together especially during the holidays!
Absolutely! These are perfect for Christmas.