Last Updated on December 28, 2018
White chocolate ball recipe is perfect for holiday party. Beautiful and delicious snowballs with a surprise inside. These are pretty easy Christmas desserts that you can make for your friends and family!
This white chocolate recipe is all you need this Christmas. Perfect winter no bake dessert that is easy to assemble. Save this chocolate ball recipe to surprise your guests!
This is a gluten-free vegetarian dessert. You can make these Chocolate balls ahead of time and plate them just before the celebration. I’m sure everyone will be surprised and delighted by this chocolate dessert. Let’s be hones, who doesn’t love chocolate and lovely surprises?
Ingredients you need for chocolate ball recipe
As for the ingredients for this dessert recipe, you will need everything that is white: white chocolate, cream cheese, heavy cream, mini marshmallows. Also a little bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice, powdered or icing sugar.
To make it more striking and colorful inside, you will need a teaspoon of pomegranate seeds, micro mint leaves, dehydrated strawberry pieces, golden sugar pearls for decoration.
You will need no special equipment, except the round silicone chocolate mold and preferably food thermometer for tempering white chocolate.
Tempering chocolate is needed to make a shiny, sturdy, beautiful snow ball that won’t melt at room temperature. Simply melted chocolate won’t be the same.
How to temper white chocolate
You can find a video of tempering dark chocolate in Giant Black Pearl Recipe. The technique is the same, the difference is only in temperatures.
To temper white chocolate use high quality product. It doesn’t matter if you are using white chocolate chip or white chocolate bark. Make sure to choose shiny and hard chocolate with no gray or white streaks. It is better to use at least 400 g or a pound of chocolate, because it is easier to work with the larger amount.
Heat a Bain Marie or double boiler, which is a pot with simmering water and a heat-proof bowl placed on top. Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
After your water is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add 3/4 of crushed white chocolate (or chocolate drops) to the heated bowl. When it is almost melted or reached 42 C / 108 F temperature, remove the bowl from heat and add solid chocolate inside. Stir until melted, preferably over the second bowl with ice. You should reach 29 C / 84 F. It can take around 10-15 minutes.
If your chocolate becomes too thick, you can microwave it on low for about 10 seconds. However don’t raise temperature more than to 32 C / 90 F or you’ll need to start tempering again.
Pour the chocolate in the round molds and rotate in you hand so it covers all the shells. Remove the excess on the edges with the knife.
Let it set in the cool place at the room temperature with the mold turned upside down. I recommend making more than four chocolate shells, so you can choose later the best ones to serve. Also you will have some leftover chocolate, but this is a minimum amount needed to make the tempering easier. If you have less chocolate it will be easier to burn it.
How to make a snowball filling
You can actually get creative with this part of winter dessert. You can fill white chocolate shells with ice cream, yogurt or just whipped cream. In a mixing bowl combine whipped cream cheese with whipped heavy cream, fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar. This filling is light, delicious and somehow comforting. You can also make white chocolate mousse, which I made in Giant Black Pearl (see the link above).
All you need to add is a bit of fruit relief. Pomegranate seeds and mint leaves are just good! Orange segments will work just great, too. I also sprinkled with dried strawberry pieces, which is optional, but adds interesting fruity sweet note. You can add chopped strawberry instead.
Decorating the chocolate ball dessert
First of all, I think a flower inside this magic chocolate ball is a must. I grow violet flower on my window sill at home. If you don’t know which flowers to choose, check our post about No Bake Greek Yogurt Desserts to find out what flowers are great to decorate desserts.
To decorate the plate you will need this cream cheese filling spread on the plate like brush strokes, spoon whipped cream snowballs, sprinkle mini marshmallows and add almond flakes. Moreover, crushed Macadamia nuts will look great instead of almonds. I can also suggest to sprinkle some desiccated coconut inside the snowball and around the serving plates.
Moreover, after experimenting with flaming Christmas pudding, we were excited to flame this snowball dessert, too! So we poured a little bit of brandy over and around the snowball. Then we heated about a tablespoon of brandy on the stove, flamed it and poured over the snowball. It certainly melted chocolate and added a buzzy note to this Christmas desserts.
This chocolate ball recipe doesn’t require flaming, is totally optional and the dessert is so delicious on it’s own. Moreover, you can heat some thick orange sauce or hot melted chocolate and add on top for special melting effect. Generally, if you want a melting chocolate ball, you need to make white chocolate shells super thin. You can also just crack the top with the spoon. Have fun and experiment!
If you enjoy this chocolate recipe, you need to check our easy chocolate truffles 3 ways.
Pin this chocolate ball recipe and leave a comment below!
Chocolate Ball Recipe - Winter Desserts
- 400 g white chocolate
- 1 tsp dried strawberries
- 6 micro mint leaves
- 1-2 tsp pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar + extra for dusting
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp micro golden sugar pearls
- 2 edible flowers pansies
- 1 tbsp almond slices
- 1 tbsp mini marshmallows
Tempering white chocolate:
- Heat a Bain Marie or double boiler (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water).
- After your water is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add 3/4 of crushed white chocolate (or chocolate drops) to the heated bowl. When it is almost melted or reached 42 C / 108 F temperature, remove the bowl from heat and add unmelted chocolate inside. Stir until melted, preferably over the second bowl with ice. You should reach 29 C / 84 F.
- If your chocolate becomes too thick, you can microwave it on low for about 10 seconds. However don’t raise temperature more than to 32 C / 90 F or you’ll need to start tempering again.
- Pour the chocolate in the round molds and rotate in you hand so it covers all the shells. Gently tap the molds to remove air bubbles. Remove the excess on the edges with the knife. Let it set in the cool place at the room temperature with the mold turned upside down.
Decorating the plate:
- Whip heavy cream with sugar for 5 minutes or until reaches stiff peaks. Grab a teaspoon and with a back of the spoon smear it on the plate. Also spoon out very small dollops of whipped cream and with a help of your fingers place them around the plate, leaving the center of the plate free.
- Put almond slices one by one on a plate, dipping one side in the heavy cream to stick to the plate. Sprinkle around the plate marshmallows and golden sugar pearls.
To make the filling for the snowballs:
- In the separate bowl whip cream cheese with lemon juice for 1 minute. With a spatula slowly incorporate leftover whipped cream into cream cheese.
- Put a tablespoon of cream filling in the center of the plate. Place the cream filling in the piping bag or in piston cake decorator with big nozzle.
- Remove white chocolate shells from the molds.*
- Stick one half of of chocolate shell bottom side down in the center of the plate. Add few pomegranate seeds and pipe in cream filling until the top. Insert few pomegranate seeds, dried strawberry pieces.
- Cover with the lid or other half of white chocolate. Let it sit in the fridge for half an hour.
- Remove the cap and add flower and mint leaves. Cover with white chocolate cap. Using a fine sieve, sprinkle sugar powder around the plate.