Sweet Potato Butter is an easy, affordable and delicious breakfast idea. Smooth, sweet and creamy vegan butter with warming spices.
Smear it on your morning toast or plain cookies. It is perfect to share on Thanksgiving or make an edible gift.
Sweet Potato Butter is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
It is one of the easiest leftover potato recipes. You will need just few ingredients and a pot to cook on a stove.
To make sweet potato butter spread smooth, use blender. However, it will cook to the perfect texture, then you can mash it for a potato masher or fork.
This recipe for sweet potato butter is a great way to include more vegetables into your family diet, especially for kids.
When is sweet potato in season
In the United States, sweet potatoes are harvested from September to the early October. This sweet potato butter is perfect way to use seasonal produce.
Is sweet potato butter healthy
Yes, if you use sweet potato butter moderately. It is quite sweet. You can substitute to the alternative sweetener, such as erythritol for a healthier version.
According to Self Nutrition Data, sweet potato is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin B6 and Potassium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Manganese.
How long does sweet potato butter last in the fridge?
I tested several recipes, so I am confident that this sweet potato butter will last 3 weeks in the fridge.
This recipe makes approximately 1 jar (500 ml) of sweet potato butter, depending on the size of your potatoes.
It is suitable for freezing as well. Just put in an appropriate container, close the lid, leaving a little space to the top. Store up to the 3 months in a freezer.
You can use this this sweet potato butter recipe for canning.
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- Cherry Clafoutis - Easy desserts - Mother's Day brunch
- Healthy apple crisp – Apple cranberry crisp
- How to make a frittata - Breakfast frittata – Mother's day brunch ideas
- Healthy Oatmeal Cookies - Vegan Breakfast Recipe
- Cauliflower fritters – Easy Healthy Breakfast
How to make sweet potato butter
You will need just a few ingredients to make sweet potato butter for your breakfast next day!
Put peeled and cut into smaller pieces sweet potatoes in a large pot. Better use heavy-bottom pot, if you have one.
Add orange juice, sugar and spices. I used ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. You can also add ground ginger.
Cover potatoes with water. Bring it to the boil.
Cook sweet potatoes about 1,5-2 hours until the potatoes are soft and smooth. Check with a spatula, if it is easy to mash, the butter is ready. It will have a brownish color.
Blend, if you want a smooth texture. But you can skip this step. It is enough to mash with a spatula, potato masher or fork.
Let it chill and fill the jar.
What is sweet potato butter used for
Here I will share some of our favorite ways how to eat sweet potato butter:
- Smear on soda bread, English muffins, toast or biscuits.
- Add in your morning oatmeal.
- Stir into Greek yogurt or other plain yogurt.
- You can mix with yogurt or sour cream to make a dip for crackers or cookies.
- Serve on charcuterie board, it pairs well with cheese and cream cheese!
- Serve with buckwheat pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, apple pancakes or waffles.
- Try it to sweeten your smoothie.
More sweet potato recipes:
Check also our 101 Thanksgiving recipes.
Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to receive up-to date healthy recipes and wowing desserts! And if you make this easy fall staple or one of our other recipes, tag us to let us know. We love to see what you are making!
Sweet Potato Butter
- large pot
- spatula, for or masher
- hand blender optional
- 2 sweet potatoes large
- 4 cups water
- ⅔ cups orange juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- 3 cloves
- Put peeled and cut into smaller pieces sweet potatoes in a large pot.2 sweet potatoes
- Add brown sugar.½ cup brown sugar
- Add spices.1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 3 cloves
- Add orange juice.⅔ cups orange juice
- Fill with water till the top.4 cups water
- Bring it to the boil.
- Cook about 2 hours until the potatoes are soft and smooth.
- Blend, if you want a smooth texture.
- Let it chill and fill the jar.